GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stocks from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/150504-stocks-seed.html)

Doug[_1_] 22-10-2006 03:23 PM

Stocks from seed

I've never grown Stocks before. I grew a bunch from seed this year and
I guess I got them started too late. They all grew very well- nice big
plants- but here it is late October and none of them sent up any flower
stalks. I'm in zone 6- northern NJ.
These aren't going to surprise me by blooming in November are they?
How early do these need to be started to bloom and what's the normal
blooming season?

Thanks.

Kay Lancaster 22-10-2006 10:42 PM

Stocks from seed

On 22 Oct 2006 07:23:33 -0700, Doug wrote:
I've never grown Stocks before. I grew a bunch from seed this year and
I guess I got them started too late. They all grew very well- nice big
plants- but here it is late October and none of them sent up any flower
stalks. I'm in zone 6- northern NJ.
These aren't going to surprise me by blooming in November are they?
How early do these need to be started to bloom and what's the normal
blooming season?

Stocks like cool weather... I've picked them for Thanksgiving and Christmas
dinners in Iowa some years.

When did you start your plants? And which stocks are you growing (mine
were common ("6 week" stocks.)

Kay

Doug[_1_] 23-10-2006 05:54 PM

Stocks from seed

The variety is Imperial Giants. I planted them in early May. I think
the packet said they bloom in 55-80 days. They've had plenty of time to
mature.

Kay Lancaster 24-10-2006 10:42 AM

Stocks from seed

On 23 Oct 2006 09:54:51 -0700, Doug wrote:

The variety is Imperial Giants. I planted them in early May. I think
the packet said they bloom in 55-80 days. They've had plenty of time to
mature.

In my experience, garden stocks are pretty bombproof if grown in full sun,
moist but well drained soil, neutral to slightly alkaline pH.

If those are your growing conditions, could they have gotten too much N?

Kay