Old 22-10-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Azalea blooming out of season

Hola, amigas/amigos

I put in a new azalea in a LARGE pot on the E. side of the house (So.
Calif coastal) about 6-7 weeks ago.

It took right away and is growing fine. But it has put out a couple
of blossoms, way out of season. May be due to warm-ish "autumn",
or...

Is this going to affect normal blooming later on?

Any experience appreciated.

Persephone
Old 22-10-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:14:26 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Hola, amigas/amigos

I put in a new azalea in a LARGE pot on the E. side of the house (So.
Calif coastal) about 6-7 weeks ago.

It took right away and is growing fine. But it has put out a couple
of blossoms, way out of season. May be due to warm-ish "autumn",
or...

Is this going to affect normal blooming later on?

Any experience appreciated.

Persephone

Sometimes my azaleas will bloom twice, a "strong" bloom in the spring
and a "weak" bloom in the fall.
Old 22-10-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:14:26 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I put in a new azalea in a LARGE pot on the E. side of the house (So.
Calif coastal) about 6-7 weeks ago.

It took right away and is growing fine. But it has put out a couple
of blossoms, way out of season. May be due to warm-ish "autumn",
or...

Is this going to affect normal blooming later on?

Any experience appreciated.

There are a couple varieties on the market these days that bloom two
or three times a year.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-10-2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
Hola, amigas/amigos

I put in a new azalea in a LARGE pot on the E. side of the house (So.
Calif coastal) about 6-7 weeks ago.

It took right away and is growing fine. But it has put out a couple
of blossoms, way out of season. May be due to warm-ish "autumn",
or...

Is this going to affect normal blooming later on?

Any experience appreciated.

Persephone

Keep it watered, moist but not wet. That's especially important during
Santa Anna conditions. (Today, the humidity did not go above 26%
relative and stayed mostly below 20%.)

If the foliage seems to yellow but not fall, give it a slight feeding
with commercial azalea/camellia food. However, if the leaves turn
orange or red, the variety is deciduous; then don't feed.

Don't prune until after spring flowering.

I have two 'Inga' azaleas in pots, one in front (about half-day sun) and
one in back (mostly shade). The one in back is not blooming right now.
The one in front has not really stopped blooming since spring. All
the others -- George Taber, Alaska, Formosa, and Pride of Dorking, all
in the ground -- are waiting for spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean