Old 24-10-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardens / Squirrels

Hi,

This question is of course for next year...but I just bought a house
this summer and have spent the summer/fall getting an area in the back
yard ready for planting vegetables next year. However, as I was
working out there I saw a lot of squirrels hanging out (there's a pear
tree in a neighbors yard) and am curious if there is some way (short of
building an enclosed garden) of keeping them out of the area I have
created next year when I plant my garden? There's bunnies around too,
not as many as the squirrels, but if anyone has any suggestions on
those too that would be great.

Old 24-10-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

This question is of course for next year...but I just bought a house
this summer and have spent the summer/fall getting an area in the back
yard ready for planting vegetables next year. However, as I was
working out there I saw a lot of squirrels hanging out (there's a pear
tree in a neighbors yard) and am curious if there is some way (short of
building an enclosed garden) of keeping them out of the area I have
created next year when I plant my garden? There's bunnies around too,
not as many as the squirrels, but if anyone has any suggestions on
those too that would be great.

Squirrels won't bother your vegetable garden. They may dig a bit, but it's
of no consequence. If you find they're disturbing places with newly planted
seeds, cover those areas with chicken wire until the plants are up &
growing. As far as total protection, you're dealing with an animal that can
run at top speed along an electrical wire. Human acrobats can only dream of
such a thing. The only way you could stop squirrels 100% would be to put a
chain link "roof" on top of a fence surrounding the entire garden.

Old 24-10-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug wrote:

Hi,

This question is of course for next year...but I just bought a house
this summer and have spent the summer/fall getting an area in the back
yard ready for planting vegetables next year. However, as I was
working out there I saw a lot of squirrels hanging out (there's a pear
tree in a neighbors yard) and am curious if there is some way (short of
building an enclosed garden) of keeping them out of the area I have
created next year when I plant my garden? There's bunnies around too,
not as many as the squirrels, but if anyone has any suggestions on
those too that would be great.

Deer, rabbits MAY be discouraged by one of those motion activated
sprinklers.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 24-10-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Andy writes:

I have hordes of squirrels and crows. To keep them out of my
chain link enclosed garden I did the following :

I shot a squirrel and built a little gallows and hung him
from it in the middle of the garden....

A few days later, I did the same with a crow.

Both groups of animals avoid my garden like the plague.
The carcasses stunk a little, but there was no trespassing...

Later in the season, rabbits discoverd my cantalopes. They nibble
the ends of the vines, preventing them from growing and bearing...

I shot one of the rabbits, and hung it also from a little
gallows. My cantalope vines then began to grow again....no
more problems...

Of course, I told my wife that I found the dead animals on
the road, but that was just so I could continue to sleep in the
house.....

Just a suggestion...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 25-10-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

The best way to take care of the squirels is to build things to
entertain them, feeders, etc. Then set back and enjoy their antics as
they try to get to the feeders.

Old 25-10-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Rabbits can be a serious problem - you won't think 'cute little bunnies'
the first time you come out to see your lovely plants chewed to the ground!

You can use traps or a deer/rabbit spray. You'll find out the hard way
which plants they like best. I like the spray that you spray ON the
plants. The other kind is sprayed AROUND the plants, but if you have
rows of vegetables - as opposed to landscaping plants - you might like
the spray barrier better. Keep ALL standing water out of your yard - no
saucers under patio pots. I found keeping water out of reach also helped
thin my rabbit population. Bird baths are OK as rabbits cannot climb.
You can fence your vegetable garden but remember, you must have at least
12" underground as they can dig under fencing.

I have learned to HATE rabbits.

Squirrels? not much unless you shoot them.

Old 25-10-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

AndyS wrote:

Andy writes:

[...]

I hope your wife doesn't sneak a taste of fresh veggies!

hah!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 25-10-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sterling" wrote in message

I have learned to HATE rabbits.

1) Havahart trap
2) BB pistol & safety goggles (for execution)
3) LL Bean Fish & Game Cookbook (a classic)

Problem solved.

Old 25-10-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

So, you know what you did was wrong, yet you did it anyway and lied
about it? I don't like people who do this and I feel sorry for you as
you must be a very hateful person.

Old 27-10-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
So, you know what you did was wrong, yet you did it anyway and lied
about it? I don't like people who do this and I feel sorry for you as
you must be a very hateful person.

Andy asks:

Exactly what kind of a nut are you ??????

Please stay on topic. We are talking about killing squirrels...

Andy in Eureka, Texas