Old 24-10-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
jab jab is offline

Default Raspberries

Don't know if this is the correct group for this, but I'll ask anyway.
A week ago Sunday, I purchased a pint of raspberries in the local big
box food market. This past Sunday, when I was shopping again, I realized
the raspberries where still in the frig and that I had forgotten all
about them. Going home and expecting to find a box of moldy fruit, I was
surprised to find them in the same good condition that I bought them and
just finished eating the last of them today.

My question is, are there some varieties that are bred to last in stores
for a week or more or was there something spayed on the berries to
preserve them? I know the July berries I grow won't last more than 2-3
days in the frig.

Thanks
JAB
Old 24-10-2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"jab" wrote in message ...
Don't know if this is the correct group for this, but I'll ask anyway.
A week ago Sunday, I purchased a pint of raspberries in the local big box
food market. This past Sunday, when I was shopping again, I realized the
raspberries where still in the frig and that I had forgotten all about
them. Going home and expecting to find a box of moldy fruit, I was
surprised to find them in the same good condition that I bought them and
just finished eating the last of them today.

My question is, are there some varieties that are bred to last in stores
for a week or more or was there something spayed on the berries to
preserve them? I know the July berries I grow won't last more than 2-3
days in the frig.

Thanks
JAB

Yes, there are varieties bred for better shipping qualities. Same for
strawberries, tomatoes and other crops. And, like other delicate produce,
it's best to find just the right balance of dryness and air circulation.
Don't wash them until you're about to eat them.

Old 24-10-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jab" wrote in message ...
[...]

We always hand picked and ate them. Survivors were either frozen or
boiled in sugar aka JAM. I've been known to layer fruit with sugar and
brandy for Dec 25 time +- three months. This is in the past b4 heart
stuff.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade Beware Of THINK LIKE THIS
Old 24-10-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jab" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think home grown berries are supposed to make it into the house. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Yields of raspberries and blueberries WCD Edible Gardening 0 14-05-2003 07:44 PM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM