Old 25-10-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Default weird fungi ID

I found these weird fungi growing in my moss garden. Be prepared, they are a little suggestive-looking. Does anyone know what they are? Try clicking on this link, and if it doesn't work, cut and paste the whole thing into your browser.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/...lp7a/my_photos

Also, if anyone knows how to prevent weeds from sprouting up in a moss garden, let me know. There are too many to weed, and I don't know if there's anything I can spray on the moss to kill the weeds.
Thx
-C
Old 26-10-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

It's a type of stalked puffball, a species of Calostoma. If you do an image
search in Google on Calostoma you'll see several examples. Calostoma species
are unusual because they have a gelatinous outer layer which sloughs off at
maturity, a feature lacking in most puffballs. Someone is currently doing a
doctoral study on this group (Clark Univ.?) trying to determine their
taxonomic relationships. As far as I know their edibility has not been tested.

Fred

In article , "cb"

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6F846.3C9429E0

I found these weird fungi growing in my moss garden. Be prepared, they =
are a little suggestive-looking. Does anyone know what they are? Try =
clicking on this link, and if it doesn't work, cut and paste the whole =
thing into your browser.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/...3Dph&store=3D=
&prodid=3D&.done=3Dhttp%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/my_photos

Also, if anyone knows how to prevent weeds from sprouting up in a moss =
garden, let me know. There are too many to weed, and I don't know if =
there's anything I can spray on the moss to kill the weeds.
Thx
-C
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6F846.3C9429E0

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I found these weird fungi growing in my =
moss=20
garden. Be prepared, they are a little =
suggestive-looking. Does anyone=20
know what they are? Try clicking on this link, and if it doesn't work, =
cut and=20
paste the whole thing into your browser./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2A=20
href=3D"http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/album?.dir=3Dde04re2&.src=
=3Dph&store=3D&prodid=3D&.done=3Dhttp %3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com=
/ph/clp7a/my_photos"http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/album?.dir=3Dde0=
4re2&.src=3Dph&store=3D&prodid=3D&amp ;.done=3Dhttp%3a//pg.pho=
tos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/my_photos/A/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Also, if anyone knows how to prevent =
weeds from=20
sprouting up in a moss garden, let me know. There are too many to weed, =
and I=20
don't know if there's anything I can spray on the moss to kill the=20
weeds./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Thx/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2-C/FONT/DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6F846.3C9429E0--