Old 27-10-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stu Stu is offline

Default Privacy Hedge

Greetings all.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma (Zone 7) and am looking for a plant to use
as a hedge/screen to shield about 250' of my property from the sight
of traffic (and hopefully abate some of the noise) on a nearby road. I
have privets there now which do a fairly good job until they lose
their leaves in the fall.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to plant that would be fast-growing
and drought resistant preferably native to the area.

Thanks in advance.

--Stu
Old 27-10-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Stu wrote:
Greetings all.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma (Zone 7) and am looking for a plant to use
as a hedge/screen to shield about 250' of my property from the sight
of traffic (and hopefully abate some of the noise) on a nearby road. I
have privets there now which do a fairly good job until they lose
their leaves in the fall.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to plant that would be fast-growing
and drought resistant preferably native to the area.

Thanks in advance.

--Stu

cedar?

I dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 27-10-2006, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm in zone 7, Alabama. I have some beautiful arizona cypress. They are very
quick growing, beautifully shaped, remind me of a Christmas tree shape. Mine
have grown from 1 foot when planted to about 12-15 feet in four years. They
grow wide and full all the way to the ground. They're evergreen, of course,
and they have a blueish color to them. You'll need to space them about 12
feet apart, they can placed much closer for a full hedge effect very
quickly. The planting tag on mine said 4-6 feet apart, but they were
touching after two years. For me it has not affected the looks of them at
all. I'm using mine to screen off a neighbor that likes to sit in her yard
and watch and has a lot of company that must all be hard of hearing cause
they talk at the top of their lungs. The trees have worked their magic and
are blocking out them and their noise. And they are gorgeus trees to enjoy
just looking at. I first found them at a nursery for $8 ea. I told the woman
I was homesick for the tall spikey trees in Seattle where I had just moved
from. She showed me the arizona cypress and told me to toch them and then
smell my hand. They smelled cedarish and woodsy and I was sold on them. The
next year I bought some more for another section of my fence and I got them
at Wally World for $4 ea. They are all doing great in our heat, humidity,
and droughts in the summer and the cold temps in the winter don't bother
them either. I fed them by watering with miracle gro the first year, but
have done nothing to them since, but just let them be.

Gloria

Old 28-10-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stu Stu is offline

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:15:54 GMT, "Gloria"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gloria.

I'll check and see if they are available here.

--Stu
Old 28-10-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. net...
Stu wrote:
Greetings all.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma (Zone 7) and am looking for a plant to use
as a hedge/screen to shield about 250' of my property from the sight
of traffic (and hopefully abate some of the noise) on a nearby road. I
have privets there now which do a fairly good job until they lose
their leaves in the fall.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to plant that would be fast-growing
and drought resistant preferably native to the area.

Thanks in advance.

--Stu

cedar?

I dunno

I don't either. This is the first place I'd look:
http://www2.dasnr.okstate.edu/index....ask=view&id=20

The OP should contact them with his question.

Old 28-10-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stu Stu is offline

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:42:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I don't either. This is the first place I'd look:
http://www2.dasnr.okstate.edu/index....ask=view&id=20

The OP should contact them with his question.

Thanks Joe.

An email is in the pipe to them.

--Stu
Old 27-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Greetings all.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma (Zone 7) and am looking for a plant to use
as a hedge/screen to shield about 250' of my property from the sight
of traffic (and hopefully abate some of the noise) on a nearby road. I
have privets there now which do a fairly good job until they lose
their leaves in the fall.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to plant that would be fast-growing
and drought resistant preferably native to the area.

Thanks in advance.

--Stu
If Cyress does not catch your fancy (no too clever if you make a mistake clipping it) and if you are prepared to plant a non native, take a look at laurel. It is a fantastic screen against road noise and light pollution from lassing cars - none better, it grows just about anywhere and is practically bombproof once established.
John
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk