Old 29-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Default Mole murdering

Hi all,

Where we live, there is an empty house next door with a huge mole problem. The bark garden has so many molehills they have joined together and it looks like someone has been digging trenches. I've used every kind of mole repellant to repel their occasional forays over our side of the fence, but today I have decided that enough is enough and thought I'd check out a gardening message board for some expert advice...

Does anyone on here know the most effective way to kill them when they come over to my back garden under the fence? I want every last one of them, and their children, dead. Not diverted to next door for a month or so until they have another go. Dead. Never to return again. Deceased - though preferably not pushing up the daisies...

Any advice would be welcome. On registering I did a quick search for "moles" and saw one of these recommended on another thread http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E

Can anyone else vouch for their effectiveness? Would some kind of warfarin based/rat poison type bait be more effective? At the moment, I'm seriously considering sticking a few bangers down the holes and hoping they die of shock!

Cheers,

Moleyguy.
Old 29-10-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/tftwn

Can anyone else vouch for their effectiveness? Would some kind of
warfarin based/rat poison type bait be more effective? At the moment,
I'm seriously considering sticking a few bangers down the holes and
hoping they die of shock!

Cheers,

Moleyguy.

There is a very good reason the highest paid and most respected 'craft'
in olden times was molecatcher.

Here's my take on it;

1. Traps
2. Talpirid aka Tomcat
3. Giant Destroyer
4. Rodenator
5. Propane
6. Lawnmower exhaust

Each of the above have the potential to work, but each comes with
problems and risks. Then of course, a mole may just move in again next
spring. A mole has a large territory and is solitary. Unless they are
breeding or a female is raising pups - there is only one. They mostly
eat worms. They do not eat plants. They will abandon a set of tunnels
when the area is sparse in worms, so 3-4 of the above approaches require
close observation for present activity. numbers 5 and 6(which is my own,
as yet untesed, idea) have the risk that gasses could collect in
basements or the drainage/sewer system. Number 4 is very - uh - dramatic
and maybe not sutable for urban settinsg (see the videos at the website).
Good luck. I just gave mine a name and consider it an invisible pet.

the other stuff, repellents, windmills, sonic chasers,etc. are probably
worthless.

ymmv

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 30-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleyguy
[...]

Well, looks like you really have problems. I had them to but this worked: http://astore.amazon.com/learnjuggli...331789-0667220

P.S. Don't use poison. It might affect your vegetbales, grass...
Old 30-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl 1 Lucky Texan
moleyguy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice, that's really useful. If they are solitary then I will try and give (1) a go. If my luck's in then I'll get him, otherwise I might have to think about naming him like you have!

In the longer run I think I might invest in a fence with a concrete base once I'm sure they have left my side of the boundary...
Old 30-10-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

"moleyguy" wrote in message

[...]

I have used poison bait, gas grenades and two kinds of mole traps - I have
not tried the lawn spray that kills insects and worms to get rid of moles.

My father's old spring-loaded vertical trap worked best - a new one was kind
of weak - because it couldn't drive itself into the soil, I had to make
holes for the prongs and then retract and set it.

Gas grenades just annoyed them/it.

They/it stuck up their noses at the bait pellets - although once I got the
mole mid-summer; next year, part way into the year, there was a little
activity near the bait drop spot, and then nothing for the rest of the
year - leading me to believe the new tenant ate last year's bait pellets.

fwiw

--
moleyguy

Old 30-10-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"hob" wrote:

"moleyguy" wrote in message

[...]

Juicy fruit gum and broken glass.

Weird

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
-- http://www.ocutech.com/
Old 30-10-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Traps are really the most effective. You can get them at Home Depot for
about $9.00 each. Get the heavy duty metal ones that close like a scissors
when sprung. Find a runway between two mounds. Bury the trap in the mole
runway, make the jaws level with the bottom of the runway so when the mole
is running down the tunnel he'll run into the jaws of the trap. Mound dirt
and grass around the top of the trap so as little light as possible gets in.
Then cover the trap with a plastic plant pot, the 8 to 10 inch size works
well. Then sit back and watch the traps do the work for you.

The other thing to consider is getting rid of whatever the moles are being
attracted to in your lawn. They usually like to eat grubs and other bugs.

And, finally I have found that the moles in my neck of the woods don't care
too much for lawn feritilizer. You might try keeping your lawn fertilized
and see if that works.

Old 31-10-2006, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"moleyguy" wrote in message
Does anyone on here know the most effective way to kill them when they
come over to my back garden under the fence? I want every last one of
them, and their children, dead. Not diverted to next door for a month
or so until they have another go. Dead. Never to return again. Deceased
- though preferably not pushing up the daisies...

You could try the all-natural approach, and get a cat. Preferably a barn
cat who knows to kill them before dragging them indoors, unlike my
mole-murdering housecat.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

[...]

Hi we have had good success with a product we sell on our web site www.everythingforthegarden it is a sonic product called Solar Molar that puts pulses into the soil that the moles do not like and this keeps them away. I know it does not kill them but with the killing method you are only buying time as more Moles will invade as they are constantly looking for new territory.
We have sold many of them and no complaint so why not try this first remember is is solar so no power is needed.
Regards
Charles
www.everythingforthegarden.co.uk
Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Hi we have had good success with a product we sell on our web site www.everythingforthegarden.co.uk it is a sonic product called Solar Molar that puts pulses into the soil that the moles do not like and this keeps them away. I know it does not kill them but with the killing method you are only buying time as more Moles will invade as they are constantly looking for new territory.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

The plunger trap is best but learn how to use it. Put the trap in place
and work the points up and down a few times to make holes in the soil
and then set it. Mesh the runs down and select the run they open up
first, it will be the main run. Put a shovel under the trap and lift it
out because you may just have a prong thru its skin.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charles White wrote:

Hi we have had good success with a product we sell on our web site
www.everythingforthegarden it is a sonic product called Solar Molar

We had some of these for our yard (not the same brand, but a vibrating/sonic
thingie we got at Costco) and they didn't work worth a darn.. We had gophers
that would dig holes right next to it as-if to laugh at me.. We ended up
using the trap called a "Black Hole".. It works great and did them in 95%
of the time on the first try (assuming you place the traps properly).. I've
only had one gopher that was a bit too smart and it took 3-4 tries to get
him, but we had 6-7 gophers that kept eating everything and digging holes
all over our garden and lawn.. I got tired of falling into holes and tripping
and used the black hole after nothing else worked..

Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

If you feel like giving this critter a sporting chance, you might try
using various weeder devices like prongs or weed twisters. Here you
have to hunt and jab the poor creature, but at least you wont pollute
your neighborhood with chemicals. If he gets away from you, maybe he
deserves to live?

The ultimate solution would be to build a deep fence around your yard
that moles can't or won't penetrate. This would require a foundation
or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels.
Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of
mole tunnels?

Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com, raycruzer wrote:

or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels.
Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of
mole tunnels?

I've ready 6-8' (yes -- FEET).. That would be some mighty expensive hole
digging if you ask me!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Rick F. wrote:

In article .com, raycruzer wrote:

or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels.
Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of
mole tunnels?

I've ready 6-8' (yes -- FEET).. That would be some mighty expensive hole
digging if you ask me!

Wouldn't guarantee freedom from moles anyway - they can move across the
top of the soil (though reluctantly it seems).

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

[IMG] code is On

Mole murdering moleyguy United Kingdom 1 11-05-2007 02:50 PM
mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 02:32 AM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 11:20 PM
Mole lairs: 4-5' deep? richard holmes Gardening 12 13-03-2003 04:44 PM
Mole deterrants tulip United Kingdom 17 17-11-2002 03:23 PM