Old 04-11-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Indoor Majestic Palm

I was warned before purchasing one from Home Depot that Majestic Palms
typically do not do well as house plants. Still, its majesty and my
stubborness won out and I purchased one against "doctor's orders".
Anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised by the results and wish to
share this with the collective.

My success story has not been a hard fought battle. I have kept the
palm in its original container, lofted on a small pedestal, and sit it
in the corner of my bedroom. Knowing that it is a low light plant, I
have intentionally placed it behind a window sheer during daylight
hours. I water it nightly (more or less) with anywhere from half a
liter to a liter of water. Approximately once a week or once every
two, I feed it some spray-on plant food from Home Depot which comes
from cultivated "worm poop" (their words, not mine). Occassionally, I
will prune back the lower branches which brown as it sprouts new,
radiant palms above.

No real tricks here, and I have never been known for having a green
thumb. I will see how it does getting through its first winter, but
public opinion turned out to be incorrect on this buy.

- Intractably

[IMG] code is On

Paphinia Majestic V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 08-12-2006 11:48 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
majestic palms Martin Australia 5 18-04-2004 04:05 AM
majestic palm seeding problem Martin Australia 0 16-04-2004 04:33 AM
majestic palm problem Martin Gardening 0 16-04-2004 04:32 AM