Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default moss

I live in Pennsylvania and have moss growing within my lawn. I know
that lime is used for moss, but I was wondering if there is a product
that could pretty much ensure that the moss would be killed, while not
affecting the grass. Thank you.......Bruce

Old 05-11-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

I am one of those people who love moss and try to cultivate it wherever
it wants to grow.

We used to have a sort of moss lawn at our old cottage by a pond in
Maine -- the result of sowing a seed mixture from Nichols that was
supposed to produce a low-growing "flowery mead" suitable for shade,
and nursing it along with hearty doses of water and organic fertilizer.
Few of the intended species survived the first year, but a lovely crop
of various mosses took hold and subsequently weathered every kind of
climatic extreme. The only "weed" that troubled us was the odd clump
of actual lawngrass which sneakily crept in, seeded probably by some
pesky bird.

I'm sure there are commercial moss killers, as there are ways to kill
everything else.

--

Wundern kann es mich night, das unser Herr Christus mit Dernen
Gern und mit Sündern gelebt, geht's mir doch eben auch so.

I can't be surprised that our Lord, Jesus Christ, liked to hang out
With sinners and harlots.* That's how it is with me, too.
* -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832

Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Go to your local garden center and get some Scotts fertilizer with moss
kill. They add Iron into it to kill the moss. You can also just buy moss
kill ( Iron) too. Up here in Seattle they sell it by the car load. Works
great. But the best thing to do is elminate the coinditions that promote
moss growth. Increase drainange, add san to your soil, etc.