Old 05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Registered User

Smile My iris did not produce flowers this year

I have many different varieties of iris in my garden - well established clumps in some places - and this year for some reason they did not flower. The plants are in various locations in my large south westerly facing garden. I have had several conversations with others who blame the temperatures we experienced this year - do others feel the same way ?

Also I have a very large Bear's Breechs plant which has for the past 4 years or so put up wonderful tall spikes of flowers -- again this year nothing - but the leaves and plant looks to be in good condition - in fact until the frosts of the last couple of days the plant looked glorious.

Other people's experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default My iris did not produce flowers this year

Well, I live out in a desert and I make sure that my iris get two things:

1. lots of water, they need at lest a full ac ft a year.

2. Good feeding, in the spring time I use my alfafa tea I make to pour
around them. During the summer time I dust the ground with a thin film of
steer manuer and in fall I mix in the alfafa into the soil near their roots
for feeding.

Spring time I get blooms.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

?

--
Teresa Gudge

Old 06-11-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Teresa Gudge wrote:
I have many different varieties of iris in my garden - well established
clumps in some places - and this year for some reason they did not
flower. The plants are in various locations in my large south westerly
facing garden. I have had several conversations with others who blame
the temperatures we experienced this year - do others feel the same way
?

They are too crowded. Divide them now. The proper way to deal with iris
is to divide 1/3 of them each year. When divided, they take one year to
recover much of the time. With this technique, you have about 50%
blooming each year. If you don't divide them, and you can see they are
crowded, next year they will bloom even less.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

The rhizomes need to be divided every three years and never plant them
too deeply. The crown of the rhizome should be above the soil line.

I live in Texas and many things which normally flower did not because
there was not enough chill hours last winter. I didn't get one peach.
A few irises bloomed. It was not a great year for bulbs, tubers and
rhizomes.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Teresa Gudge wrote:
I have many different varieties of iris in my garden - well established
clumps in some places - and this year for some reason they did not
flower. The plants are in various locations in my large south westerly
facing garden. I have had several conversations with others who blame
the temperatures we experienced this year - do others feel the same way
?

Also I have a very large Bear's Breechs plant which has for the past 4
years or so put up wonderful tall spikes of flowers -- again this year
nothing - but the leaves and plant looks to be in good condition - in
fact until the frosts of the last couple of days the plant looked
glorious.

Other people's experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Some of my iris bloomed, and some did not. They are taking longer to
recover from dividing than usual. (I divided them in the fall of 2004.)
From the growth of foliage, I expect they will bloom quite well this
coming spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 08-11-2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Last count last year was 300+ and I've been building a new bed that's close
to 150 ft long in sections and I've got ones I've got to spilt up that'll
put me over 400. All in the High Mojave Desert.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"bizbee" wrote in message
nk.net...
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:21:22 -0800 in
, "Starlord"
graced the world with this thought:

1. lots of water, they need at lest a full ac ft a year.

just how many irises are you growing? Certainly that's a bit much for
the three in my flowerbed.

Old 13-11-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Teresa Gudge" wrote in message

I divide mine every 2 to 3 years, depending on how big the clump of rhizomes
is, only I do it as soon as they quit blooming. Then some of the replanted
ones will bloom the following year, but usually it will take the second year
after transplanting.

You can dig up the entire clump, divide it, and lay the rhizomes on top of
the ground. Then I sweep some loose dirt along the edges of the rhizomes
and water them. I water mine with a soaker hose.

I usually just use a shovel and cut the center of the clump in half. Dig up
one side and get rid of it by giving it away or transplanting it. The other
half of the clump will usually bloom the following year, if I didn't disturb
it too much while removing the other half. If your clump is too big, you
will have to remove more than half.

Dwayne

Old 13-11-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:04:04 -0600, "Dwayne" wrote:

I usually just use a shovel and cut the center of the clump in half. Dig up
one side and get rid of it by giving it away or transplanting it. The other
half of the clump will usually bloom the following year, if I didn't disturb
it too much while removing the other half. If your clump is too big, you
will have to remove more than half.

I have two or maybe three varieties. One clumps, (Looks like a plain
old flag lily or bearded iris, but will tolerate wet feet.) and one
variety the rhizome divides and produces two new one's and the rhizome
that bloomed becomes bug fodder. These work best to divide every year
and bloom early every spring. The third variety blooms more than once
a year and someone else dug them for me last and I just found two of
them last month when they bloomed. I've never had a year without a
few blooms.

Regards,

Hal