Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Default String Trimmer Ideas

I need a string trimmer. That thing for cutting the lawn. Weed-
eater, or whatever you would call it. (A regular mower won't
work - the area is small, with slopes and sunken area, plus
narrow paths between veggie beds.)

A NON-negotiable point is that it must be electric.

A saw a low-priced 18-volt cordless rechargeable at the
supermarket recently. However, there wasn't even any clear
indication of the manufacturer's name (except, "Made In China.")
And that supermarket seems to be an outlet for some rather
dubious, "fell off the truck" items, plus a poor refund policy.

So I am interested in comments about reliable brands/models.
Including the question of corded or -less. I don't absolutely
need a rechargeable, but it would be nice. And, avoiding the
purchase of a heavy power lead would offset the price. OTOH, I
want something reliable. And I have heard of issues with drills,
etc, where a new battery cost more than a new whole unit.

Thanks...

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:30:01 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I use both. The battery unit has a limited amount you can do before
it needs a recharge, but so do I. It's useful for when I don't want
to drag the cord a long ways to do a little bit.

Mine are made, or at least sold, with the name Black and Decker.

If the replacement battery costs more than the new unit, just get
another new unit.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

I have had a Black and Decker cordless for two seasons. No problems with it
as yet. I generally run out of power before it does, so I just plug it back
into the charger and finish up the next day if need be.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

There's usually two or three 13-15 year old string trimmers, lawn
mowers, whatever living within a mile or maybe two.
Probably can get them to do the do the job for you, for the season, for
about the same price as the Chinese junk under various brands.
Use the spare time to fish, chase women, or whatever your imagination
can come up with.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Charles wrote:
[...]

The 18V B&D I have has been trouble free, feeds line well and is heavy
duty enough for grass of all kinds and up to the 'medium' weeds and
'thin' woody vine-type stuff. Works well when postioned for edging too.
While you COULD buy a spare battery (ebay ?) if the area is small ,as
you say, you may be able to cut it in one charge, if not, the area won't
grow much overnight will it? Just finish the next day. And if you have a
lot of trees, gnomes, brick edging, bird baths, etc. - you will enjoy
cordless power,

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Check the May 2006 issue of Consumer Reports for a rundown on all of
the ins and outs of string trimmers.

John
Thanks...

Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

String trimmer to mow lawn sounds like a bad idea. I trim some slope
areas but it is very uneven. I have all three type units. Battery is
convenient for little stuff and wife can use it but $50 for a
replacement battery means you throw away the unit and buy another.
With any brand, battery will be first thing to go. Maybe you should
look into getting a small, electric (cord) lawn mower.

Frank

Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Take a look at the Black and Decker battery model. My husband and I
maintain a portion of the North Country Trail where electricity does not
exist and the little Black and Decker does yeoman's work.

Ellen
Michigan

Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On 7 Nov 2006 04:53:48 -0800, Frank wrote:
String trimmer to mow lawn sounds like a bad idea. I trim some slope
areas but it is very uneven.

Practice makes perfect. slopes are harder to do than flat, but if the
flat area is very large it highlights problems. For a small area I
would not hesitate. But I wouldn't do electric unless the entire
potential area is a postage stamp.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
On 7 Nov 2006 04:53:48 -0800, Frank wrote:
String trimmer to mow lawn sounds like a bad idea. I trim some slope
areas but it is very uneven.

Practice makes perfect. slopes are harder to do than flat, but if the
flat area is very large it highlights problems. For a small area I
would not hesitate. But I wouldn't do electric unless the entire
potential area is a postage stamp.

What is your objection to electric?

The reason I want electric is that I don't have any proper/safe
place to store petrol. Not even the small amount in those
trimmer tanks.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

In article ,
sylvan butler wrote:

I wouldn't do electric unless the entire potential area is a postage
stamp.

Especially not battery-driven electric.

--
Wefare for the rich
combat for the poor
Old 08-11-2006, 07:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

What is your objection to electric?

Well, I can't speak for the other guy, but I tried the B&D
battery-driven trimmer and it just couldn't handle the challenge. It
was okay for ~ 18 square feet of moderately weeded area (partly in a
sloping flood control ditch), but then it lost power and needed a
charge. The string is pretty thin too, so fibrous stalks defeated it.

Also, the cutting swath was just not very big (only about 8 inches,
IIRC).

I wound up getting a 2-stroke Ryobi trimmer with attachments and an
extra spool. It wields an 18-inch swath-- what a difference. Even with
all that, it still has trouble handling some of the areas I trim. But
it is light years ahead of the electric. It may take two or three
refuelings per job, but the string is much thicker, I have a choice of
different types of string (and yes, they really do make a difference)
and it has a much greater reach as well. Not to mention the
fantastically greater rotating speed of the spool head.

About the only operational drawback for the Ryobi over the B&D (apart
from noise and the higher initial $ layout) is that cut weeds and grass
tend to wrap themselves around the string spool shaft, so it needs
frequent attention and regular cleaning.

IAC, the B&D is gathering dust in the basement. Even if we moved to a
place with a smaller yard, I doubt whether I would go back to the
electric except under duress.

Whichever way you go, wear eye protection. I got one of those flip-down
full face shields after eating a few too many grasshopper parts with
minced dandelion/milkweed garnish. And watch out for cables, wires,
hornet's nests or cord hidden in the overgrowth.

--
Wefare for the rich
combat for the poor
Old 08-11-2006, 01:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

lid wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

There are reasons the 'pros' use gas of course. My 18V batt unit works
well for me. But I have a small, reasonably well kept suburban lawn.
The Ryobi is nice also because there are alternate attachments for it as
well.
If you need the power of a Ryobi, either get one or , as was suggested,
hire someone to maintain the area for you.
Another suggestion would be to begin replacing the growth that is there
now with sedge, ajuga or someother groundcover.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote in message
[snip]

The reason I want electric is that I don't have any proper/safe
place to store petrol. Not even the small amount in those
trimmer tanks.

Sears sells a wheeled string trimmer that is very maneuverable, can be used
for small area work, has been reliable for me for years, and you don't have
to carry it around (which also means that it's cutting height is very
constant). However, it's gas-driven . . .

[IMG] code is On

Hedge trimmer attachment for a John Deere "Quik-tatch" string trimmer? [email protected] Gardening 0 10-03-2014 11:07 PM
Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 05:42 PM
String trimmer string breaks too often Robert Reznikoff Lawns 3 02-07-2007 04:23 PM
String Trimmer Ideas Lawns 17 08-11-2006 11:28 PM
Homelite String Trimmer Problem Wayne Smith Gardening 3 18-06-2003 09:39 AM