Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Overgrown lilacs

I bought a property that has 7 large lilac bushes (several different
varieties). My problem is that the previous owner never pruned them.
Now these plants consist of long woody stems that go up 6 to 8 feet
with flowering blooms all across the top and no blooms below 6 feet.

Question: if I prune these bushes back to six feet, can I expect any
blooms at all next year ( I don't even know where the blooms would come
from because there is nothing but long woody branch-like stalks from
ground to 6 feet)?

Should I start over and cut them down to ground and try to get new
growth that way?

Thank you for replies. Bruce

Old 11-11-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Prune them 1/3 at a time and let the suckers come up.

Derryl

I bought a property that has 7 large lilac bushes (several different
varieties). My problem is that the previous owner never pruned them.
Now these plants consist of long woody stems that go up 6 to 8 feet
with flowering blooms all across the top and no blooms below 6 feet.

Question: if I prune these bushes back to six feet, can I expect any
blooms at all next year ( I don't even know where the blooms would come
from because there is nothing but long woody branch-like stalks from
ground to 6 feet)?

Should I start over and cut them down to ground and try to get new
growth that way?

Thank you for replies. Bruce

[IMG] code is On

lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 5 14-10-2003 08:39 PM
Do lilacs grow here? Elizabeth North Carolina 6 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Lilacs Evan Wood Gardening 12 11-04-2003 05:20 PM
Lilacs-Atlanta Nina Salkin Gardening 9 07-02-2003 09:53 PM