GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   critters keep eating my tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/15085-critters-keep-eating-my-tomatoes.html)

fantabular 15-04-2003 09:32 PM

critters keep eating my tomatoes

I keep having a problem with squirrels and birds eating up my tomatoes
just as they ripen on the vine. What's a good way to keep those
varmints away?
Thanks in advance,
brian

Trish K. 15-04-2003 09:56 PM

fantabular wrote:

I keep having a problem with squirrels and birds eating up my tomatoes
just as they ripen on the vine. What's a good way to keep those
varmints away?
Thanks in advance,
brian

you sure it's not slugs?

Frogleg 16-04-2003 03:44 PM

On 15 Apr 2003 13:31:58 -0700, (fantabular) wrote:

I keep having a problem with squirrels and birds eating up my tomatoes
just as they ripen on the vine. What's a good way to keep those
varmints away?

I have heard/read that birds, at least, go to tomatoes for the
moisture, and that if you offer them fresh water (birdbath, etc.) in
the vicinity, they'll hit that instead. Have no idea whether this is
myth or not, although it seems logical to me.

Squirrels? They're just born mean and greedy. :-) The only deterrent
I can think of is completely caging the plants in sturdy metal,
small-mesh fencing.

fantabular 16-04-2003 05:32 PM

critters keep eating my tomatoes

Yeah, we're positive it's one of the following:
1-rabbits
2-squirrels
3-birds

We have all three constantly running around our yard.
What should I use to keep them away?
-brian

Dan Kaiser 16-04-2003 05:32 PM

critters keep eating my tomatoes

I have found that, especially with birds, putting a bucket or large bowl of
water near the garden keeps them from eating the tomatoes. It seems they are
just thirsty. This seems to be a particularly bad problem during dry spells.

D a n

paghat 16-04-2003 05:56 PM

critters keep eating my tomatoes

In article ,
(fantabular) wrote:

Yeah, we're positive it's one of the following:
1-rabbits
2-squirrels
3-birds

We have all three constantly running around our yard.
What should I use to keep them away?
-brian

Sometimes squirrels, rabbits, & birds take a liking to tomatos, even
though tomatos aren't ordinarily their favorite food, but can become an
alternative water-source if there is no fresh water nearby. The tendency
is to bite through the skin &amp drink out of the inside, then leave the
bulk of the ruined tomato uneaten since they're not after it for food. A
birdbath in the vicinity, one that sits on the ground, may keep rabbits &
squirrels from going for the tomatos, though if its rabbits they'll still
be chomping on all the greens.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: