GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question on laying sod (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/150893-question-laying-sod.html)

[email protected] 11-11-2006 08:52 PM

Question on laying sod

I noticed the sod we had delivered to our site had one end with a
straight cut and the other end with an angled cut. I've heard two ways
to butt up the sod- both straight ends together or one angled end and
one straight end. Supposedly the latter way makes the seams knit
together better. Is there a best way to lay the sod?

Val 11-11-2006 11:39 PM

Question on laying sod

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a best way to lay the sod?

Green side up.

[email protected] 12-11-2006 01:31 AM

Question on laying sod

Hi Val- My cousins name too. Are you sure it's green side up? This is
the new brown colored sod, less maintenance than the green type.
Actually looking for an answer, not a wisecrack. Thanks anyway.
Val wrote:
oups.com...

Jangchub 13-11-2006 01:32 PM

Question on laying sod

On 11 Nov 2006 12:52:10 -0800, "
wrote:

I noticed the sod we had delivered to our site had one end with a
straight cut and the other end with an angled cut. I've heard two ways
to butt up the sod- both straight ends together or one angled end and
one straight end. Supposedly the latter way makes the seams knit
together better. Is there a best way to lay the sod?

The most important aspect of laying sod is to have a very flat surface
with no dips. The angled edges should be put up against one another,
the squared off ends should touch one another. It will take time to
fill in, otherwise. Also, if you leave the soil open to the rain it
could cause a depression in the soil and you'll have to repair those
before the sod fills in.