Old 15-11-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dahlias

FamilyNet International Newsgate

JEhi there, have planted some dahlia bulbs this year and they have
JEsprouted and
JEcome up and ive been told i need to lift them for the
JEwinter but i dont really
JEwant to if i dont what are the repercussions
JEof this? and if i have to what is
JEthe best way of over-wintering them

Here in eastern New England, after our first froast (last wendesday 8-(
that drives the sap down into the tuber; on the first sunny day there
after we dig the tubers up, wash them off (to eliminate any worms, bugs,
etc.) with saved clean rain water and after they have dried out in the
sun we cut off the stalks and "put them down for the winter" (Damn
Yankee slang for put the tubers in damp sphangum peat moss in tubs in
the coolest spot in our basement 8-)

Did mine last friday and then ground up fallen leaves for the compost
before the rains came again.

Ciao, OldAck

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ A taxpayer=one who does not have to pass Civil Serv exam.

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org

Old 18-11-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On the Dahlia-net they have been talking about a very easy way to store
dahlia tubers, the man that started this way just passed away, but he's been
storing them this way for a long LONG time and has gotten other people to do
it and they've been doing very well this way.

Dig up dahlia tuber. clean, let dry, wrap in suran wrap and store in
cardboard box.

he was storing up to 300+ dahlias that way.

all most 500 members from all over the world.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"THURSTON ACKERMAN" wrote in
message ...

Old 21-11-2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

I store mine in a cool place in dry sand in a plastic box - keep out of
centrally-heated areas!
Malcolm

Starlord wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM
Dahlias and Cannas at Wisley Ian Wilkins United Kingdom 0 30-09-2002 10:24 AM