Old 18-11-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Replacing pine trees with maples

I am having several western cedar pine trees removed in my yard as
they've grown massively out of control and are too close to the house.
I would like to plant a maple variety in the same general area. Is
there any special preparation I need to do, in consideration of the
soil content? The pH is likely relatively low. Also, what time of year
should I consider planting new trees? I am in the pacific northwest, so
the temperature doesn't get cold, it just rains.

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Old 18-11-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having several western cedar pine trees removed in my yard as
they've grown massively out of control and are too close to the house.
I would like to plant a maple variety in the same general area. Is
there any special preparation I need to do, in consideration of the
soil content? The pH is likely relatively low. Also, what time of year
should I consider planting new trees? I am in the pacific northwest, so
the temperature doesn't get cold, it just rains.

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Numerous garden writers over the years have put certain maples in the same
category as child molesters and nuclear war. Norway maples, if I recall,
will have a root system which makes it impossible to plant ANYTHING under
them. You might want to research this a bit more. Call your cooperative
extension service and get LOTS of information. Do you know what that service
is?

Old 19-11-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 18 Nov 2006 08:22:36 -0800, "Greg" wrote:

I am having several western cedar pine trees removed in my yard as
they've grown massively out of control and are too close to the house.
I would like to plant a maple variety in the same general area. Is
there any special preparation I need to do, in consideration of the
soil content? The pH is likely relatively low. Also, what time of year
should I consider planting new trees? I am in the pacific northwest, so
the temperature doesn't get cold, it just rains.

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Maples like acid. They should do fine.