Old 24-11-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

Default Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

Yes. I live here....

http://i15.tinypic.com/34zk3r7.jpg
187 Willowen Dr

Rochester, NY 14609-3233

(585) 467-3339

Old 24-11-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

Yes. I live here....

http://i15.tinypic.com/34zk3r7.jpg
187 Willowen Dr
Rochester, NY 14609-3233
(585) 467-3339

Winterize now and in the Spring you need to plant some trees!

Dick
Old 24-11-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

Doug Kanter wrote:

--

Go ahead and let the darn thing die.

Every Saturday spent pushing a lawn mower around a yard is one less day
on the boat.

Is there any behavior stranger than spending $$$$$ on fertilizer, $$$$
on water, and $$$$ on a lawn mower just so your days off will be
monopolized by an expanse of ridiculous vegetation?

If there is, it must have something to do with owning a boat. :-)

Old 24-11-2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

Is there any behavior stranger than spending $$$$$ on fertilizer, $$$$
on water, and $$$$ on a lawn mower just so your days off will be
monopolized by an expanse of ridiculous vegetation?

You make a good point here.

-Jim

Chuck Gould wrote:

Old 25-11-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

Doug Kanter wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in
winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too
late now? Thanks.

Any idea where you live?

Yes. I live here....

http://i15.tinypic.com/34zk3r7.jpg
187 Willowen Dr

Rochester, NY 14609-3233

(585) 467-3339

You are running a smorgasboard for grubs. Next spring treat the lawn to
some insect killer, once again about June, and a third time in Aug.
Meantime, rent a thatcher, or buy a thatcher blade for your lawnmower,
rake up all the dead stuff and reseed.

For reason's I can't explain the strip between Syracuse and Buffalo is
Grub heaven. Gotta kill them off at least every Aug. Miss a year and
you get to start over on your lawn (I know from experience)

I would really like to know what sort of grass is planted along the
expressways -- it seems to resist grubs, and stay green all summer!

Old 25-11-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Seasonal grass will turn brown in the winter. I can't make any
recommendations on how to have a (winter) green lawn without knowing
your location. Generally fall is the most effective time for lawn
care in the US.

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:20:38 GMT, "Jim," wrote: