GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best soil for potted palms? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/151189-best-soil-potted-palms.html)

geronimo 26-11-2006 02:41 PM

Best soil for potted palms?

I have a couple of "parlor palms"----I think they are called. Should I
mix in some sand with growers' mix potting soil, or do they grow OK
without sand/

gardenlen 26-11-2006 07:08 PM

Best soil for potted palms?

g'day geronimo,

just a good qulaity regular potting mix will do them nicely, maybe add
some slow release fertiliser on a yearly basis.

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 08:41:18 -0600, geronimo
wrote:

I have a couple of "parlor palms"----I think they are called. Should I
mix in some sand with growers' mix potting soil, or do they grow OK
without sand/

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

Phisherman[_1_] 26-11-2006 10:41 PM

Best soil for potted palms?

wrote:

I have a couple of "parlor palms"----I think they are called. Should I
mix in some sand with growers' mix potting soil, or do they grow OK
without sand/

Should be fine without sand. Make sure the pots do not rest in
drain-off water. Newly-potted plants should be watered less
frequently than those that are pot-bound.

David E. Ross 28-11-2006 02:04 AM

Best soil for potted palms?

geronimo wrote:
I have a couple of "parlor palms"----I think they are called. Should I
mix in some sand with growers' mix potting soil, or do they grow OK
without sand/

Instead of buying commercial potting mix, mix your own. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

I use SeaMonkey as my Web browser because I want
a browser that complies with Web standards. See
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/.