Old 28-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Default Christmas gift for my sister: container gardening book

Hi All,

Please could someone advise me on a container gardening book for my sister for Christmas... Okay, she is 35 and has no back garden but room on balcony and ledges for pots and boxes... Could anyone recommend what is probably the most excellent book on this subject for someone who is perhaps a little clueless at gardening... she asked me for something along the lines of 'Pot planting for dummies' - but well, she is not a dummy, just a beginner really with little time on her hands for too much complexity about it, I suppose... So, any recommendations?

(I found this one: Pots and Plants: Inspired Year-round Ideas for Your Outside Space (Hardcover)
by Barbara Segall - anyone read that?)

Best wishes,
Soren
Old 29-11-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Soren wrote:
Hi All,

Please could someone advise me on a container gardening book for my
sister for Christmas... Okay, she is 35 and has no back garden but room
on balcony and ledges for pots and boxes... Could anyone recommend what
is probably the most excellent book on this subject for someone who is
perhaps a little clueless at gardening... she asked me for something
along the lines of 'Pot planting for dummies' - but well, she is not a
dummy, just a beginner really with little time on her hands for too
much complexity about it, I suppose... So, any recommendations?

(I found this one: Pots and Plants: Inspired Year-round Ideas for Your
Outside Space (Hardcover)
by Barbara Segall - anyone read that?)

Best wishes,
Soren

She might try square foot gardening;
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ (his old book is sometimes available
on ebay for a buck or 2, he sells new stuff at the website but there is
probably enough info to be succesful even without a book. If you dig
around there, you can find 'kits' to buile a garden on a patio)

also there are eboxes earthboxes;
http://nationalgardening.stores.yahoo.net/13-1330.html
http://www.earthbox.com/

or build your own;