Old 30-11-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden Box Question?

I made two garden boxes during the summer, 12 x 4 feet and 1 foot high,
too big to move. I used a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.
I live in the thumb area of Michigan (zone 5b). I also enjoyed the
fruits and vegetables of my labor.

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

To cover or not cover, that is the question!

Enjoy Life .......... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 30-11-2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
I made two garden boxes during the summer, 12 x 4 feet and 1 foot high,
too big to move. I used a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.
I live in the thumb area of Michigan (zone 5b). I also enjoyed the
fruits and vegetables of my labor.

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

Diseases & molds: Forget about it.

Mice: What would happen if you pulled off the tarp in the spring a a couple
of mice ran out from under it? Would you die? Would you be traumatized and
spend the rest of your life in therapy?

Old 30-11-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
I made two garden boxes during the summer, 12 x 4 feet and 1 foot high,
too big to move. I used a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.
I live in the thumb area of Michigan (zone 5b). I also enjoyed the
fruits and vegetables of my labor.

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

Diseases & molds: Forget about it.

Mice: What would happen if you pulled off the tarp in the spring a a couple
of mice ran out from under it? Would you die? Would you be traumatized and
spend the rest of your life in therapy?

So that would be a yes - cover the boxes?
I am not so much concerned about my mental health, it is messed up
already It is the physical concerns. I have had plants, shrubs and
trees to die from diseases and other problems over the years. I am just
wondering if some garden practices are better than others for healthy
soils and healthy plants.

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 30-11-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
[...]

I'd cover the box AFTER it freezes. And, check with friends for the name of
a good therapist. :-)

Old 30-11-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

I plant vegetables in an oak shipping crate. I have used it for 6 years and
never cover it till spring. I do dump leaves in it in the fall and shovel
them under before spring. It has metal corners.

--

BetsyB

Old 30-11-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/30/06 7:46 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
[...]

Snicker!

Old 30-11-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

I'd cover the box AFTER it freezes. And, check with friends for the name
of
a good therapist. :-)

Snicker!

Smart lady! Get over here. :-)

Old 30-11-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 11/30/06 7:46 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
[...]

I'd just work on improving the soil. I get tree cutting folks to
deliver their wood chip. I got about 15 loads begging to be moved. I
usually place it ( Chips) on our walking paths to aid in breaking it
down. Neighbors used to ask why now they ask for some. Crazy and
therapy may be subjective. )

ROT DECAY DEATH ....GOOD speak with someone who never had dirty hands
or produced a garden about those words.

Bill who just placed an electronic mouse trap in my attic. A
consequence of having only one cat about I guess.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article

..net,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 11/30/06 7:46 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
[...]

The advice about the leaves and wood chips seems to make mulch more
sense than covering the boxes. So I will not cover the boxes. However,
if I seek mental therapy they may lock me away. I would not be able to
tend my garden and that would truly make me insane Gardening is my
source of therapy!

Enjoy Life ......... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/30/06 4:48 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

I'd cover the box AFTER it freezes. And, check with friends for the name
of
a good therapist. :-)

Snicker!

Smart lady! Get over here. :-)

Thank you! are you in a warmer or colder clime. This NH weather is making me
NUTS!

Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

I think it would be more effective to get on a second year of leaf mulch cycle.
Let the leaves decompose for at least one year in a mulch pile and use those
leaves for
the current year mulch. The benefits are that the leaves will not draw any
nitrogen
out of the soil while they decompose. Also, they will compact to a much smaller
volume after composting, so you can get a much denser and more effective insulator

for the winter. If you are stuck for this year, try substituting some mushroom
compost for this current year until you can prepare some good leaf mulch for the
next.

Sherwin D.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

I'd cover the box AFTER it freezes. And, check with friends for the
name
of
a good therapist. :-)

Snicker!

Smart lady! Get over here. :-)

Thank you! are you in a warmer or colder clime. This NH weather is making
me
NUTS!

Western NY. Sorry.

If the snow actually falls, that is good. I could be convinced to visit!

Old 03-12-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

To cover or not cover, that is the question!

I have read that letting the ground heave and fall during freezes and
thaws over the winter / spring is good for breaking up / aerating the
soil. Good thinking with removing some from the edges - I always throw
all my leaves in on top of my garden boxes - this does not keep the
ground any warmer, but when the leaves are frozen, step on them to
break them up so that they will be smaller and easily "digested" by
bacteria nd earthworms once you till them into your soil. If you keep
rabbits / chickens ,etc, toss they "by-products" of living into your
bins as well - cover with more leaves, the decomposing manure will
actaully warm things up and add a lot of nitrogen to your bins.

HTH's
Boisegirl ---
Zone 6 - who is wishing it would snow and warm up! Bbrbrrrrr