GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulbs Growing Now (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/151313-bulbs-growing-now.html)

[email protected] 02-12-2006 05:07 PM

Bulbs Growing Now

I'm sure you get this question every fall, but I couldn't get a clean
hit searching historical groups.

Bulbs we planted in early November are poking through in early
December! We're in mid-Connecticut and I expect it to get much colder
before it gets any warmer.

Any suggestions for protecting the tender bits?

Johnny Borborigmi 03-12-2006 12:20 AM

Bulbs Growing Now

On 2006-12-02 12:07:18 -0500, said:

I'm sure you get this question every fall, but I couldn't get a clean
hit searching historical groups.

Bulbs we planted in early November are poking through in early
December! We're in mid-Connecticut and I expect it to get much colder
before it gets any warmer.

Any suggestions for protecting the tender bits?

Don't worry about it. As long as the flower buds don't come up you're fine.

Kay Lancaster 03-12-2006 03:42 AM

Bulbs Growing Now

Bulbs we planted in early November are poking through in early
December! We're in mid-Connecticut and I expect it to get much colder
before it gets any warmer.

Any suggestions for protecting the tender bits?

No need... they'll figure it out themselves. g

You may get some browned leaf tips in the spring, but the flower
buds are still down in the bulb with most bulbs.

If you get a cold, dry, not-very -snowy winter, consider shoveling
some snow on top of them (just a few inches) when there is snow
on the ground.

Kay

[email protected] 05-12-2006 09:24 PM

Bulbs Growing Now

Well the little bit of growth they are making is making them stronger
and showing you that they have developed a root system.
No need for worry.
A top dressing of sifted compost won't hurt.