Old 03-12-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Spider plant woes

I planted a spiderette two years ago and have little to show for it. The
plant has remained a bunch of rosettes without long leaves. I've tried
varying light, water, fertilizer, location (including outside last summer);
but nothing works. Any idea how I can persuade the plant to grow?

I posted a picture of the poor thing on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,
titled "Spider plant woes - better pix", if you want to look at it.

Bewa my first picture post is too big for easy downloading - look at the
second one.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...
I planted a spiderette two years ago and have little to show for it. The
plant has remained a bunch of rosettes without long leaves. I've tried
varying light, water, fertilizer, location (including outside last
summer);
but nothing works. Any idea how I can persuade the plant to grow?

I posted a picture of the poor thing on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,
titled "Spider plant woes - better pix", if you want to look at it.

Bewa my first picture post is too big for easy downloading - look at
the
second one.

Posting it to a website would be better as not everyone gets the binaries on
their news sever. I do not. Are you sure you have a spider plant and not
something else? Mine thrive behind a lace curtain in a sunny south window.
Soil is moist and they're fertilized with Peter's or Miracle Grow once a
week at slightly less than recommended on the packages. Soil is flushed
every other month to remove excess fertilizer salts.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"M. Bauerman" wrote in :

... Are you sure you have a spider
plant and not something else? Mine thrive behind a lace curtain in a
sunny south window. Soil is moist and they're fertilized with Peter's
or Miracle Grow once a week at slightly less than recommended on the
packages. Soil is flushed every other month to remove excess
fertilizer salts.

Thanks. Yes, it's the real thing. I pinned it to soil while it was still
attached to its mother plant. It survives but does not flourish.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I looked at your pictures. The plant looks healthy but it doesn't look like
my spider plant. One suggestion I'd make is to put that in a much smaller
pot. My spider plant is HUGE and has a waterfall of plantlets six feet down
from the pot and I have it in an 8 inch pot. Some house plants just do
better when they are root bound.

Val

Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...
I planted a spiderette two years ago and have little to show for it. The
plant has remained a bunch of rosettes without long leaves. I've tried
varying light, water, fertilizer, location (including outside last
summer);
but nothing works. Any idea how I can persuade the plant to grow?

They like to be rootbound. And prefer to dry out between waterings.

If that helps

Jen

Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

M. Bauerman wrote:
"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...

Posting it to a website would be better as not everyone gets the binaries on
their news sever. I do not. Are you sure you have a spider plant and not
something else? Mine thrive behind a lace curtain in a sunny south window.
Soil is moist and they're fertilized with Peter's or Miracle Grow once a
week at slightly less than recommended on the packages. Soil is flushed
every other month to remove excess fertilizer salts.

How do you do this? Do you just flush with warm water once a month,
saturate then let it drain?

I generally wait until the salts form on top of the soil, then take off
the soil, and put in new soil.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jen" wrote in news:_HQch.2343$HU.2182@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

They like to be rootbound. And prefer to dry out between waterings.

If that helps

Thanks, Val and Jen, I'll try a smaller pot and new soil. Thanks to
everybody else, too, although I think I've tried your suggestions.

Rob

Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...

M. Bauerman wrote:
"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...

Posting it to a website would be better as not everyone gets the binaries
on
their news sever. I do not. Are you sure you have a spider plant and not
something else? Mine thrive behind a lace curtain in a sunny south
window.
Soil is moist and they're fertilized with Peter's or Miracle Grow once a
week at slightly less than recommended on the packages. Soil is flushed
every other month to remove excess fertilizer salts.

How do you do this? Do you just flush with warm water once a month,
saturate then let it drain?

I flush the pots about every other month with warm water, right. I keep
watering until the water runs out the bottom and down the drain. Over an
over, then let them drain for awhile.

I generally wait until the salts form on top of the soil, then take off
the soil, and put in new soil.

That doesn't remove the salts down deeper in the pot that can burn tender
root hairs.