GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Acer pseudoplatanus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/151361-acer-pseudoplatanus.html)

Marco C 05-12-2006 01:05 PM

Acer pseudoplatanus

Hi :)
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

Scooter the Mighty 05-12-2006 06:36 PM

Acer pseudoplatanus

Marco C wrote:
Hi :)
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

I don't know specifically about this maple, I've heard it recommended
that you do remove the wings from maple seeds. However, they obviously
propagate with the wings intact in nature, so it probably doesn't
matter that much.

Maples usually have to go through a cold winter before they will grow,
so you should either plant them now or put them in the refrigerator for
several months.

Kay Lancaster 05-12-2006 10:42 PM

Acer pseudoplatanus

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:05:40 GMT, Marco C wrote:
Hi :)
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

Leave 'em and get 'em in moist soil ASAP. Acer has a very short period of
viability compared to most genera... weeks for some.