Old 13-12-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Has anybody planted a fairly long hedgerow?

Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the
back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property
behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas grass
or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have
irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar
that can comment or make suggestions?
Thanks.

--Ben
Old 13-12-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

I used english laurel, it grows real fast and it's pretty dense. Gets tall
real fast if you don't plant the dwarf version.

I guess the problem with oleander is the poisonous flowers. It's is one of
the most toxic plants that exists. Check out the toxicity on this web page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleander. But if you don't like your
neighbors...that is another story.

Old 13-12-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ben Phlat" wrote in message
Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the
back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property
behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas grass
or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have
irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar
that can comment or make suggestions?
Thanks.

--Ben

I have a 600ft plus Laurel hedge,like the other poster said,it grows
fast and it's very hardy.

Von.

Old 14-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ben Phlat" wrote in message
Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the
back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property
behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas

grass
or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have
irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar
that can comment or make suggestions?

Do you want a hedge or a hedgerow? I ask because there is a
difference in definition in many parts of the world. A hedge to me
would be just a few diffferent species (2 or 3) whereas a hedgerow in
many different species as it is used to give biodiversity.

I've used just Leyland cypress which grows like crazy for just a hedge
over that length (as would the laurel mentioned by others). For a
traditional hedgerow I'd include plants that have thorns and berries
for the birds (such as pyracantha or holly), plants that are bushy for
nesting and plants which have fruit like crabapples.

BTW, hedges dont really cut out noise - you need a forest for that.

Old 14-12-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:41:56 -0800, "kenv" wrote:

I used english laurel, it grows real fast and it's pretty dense. Gets tall
real fast if you don't plant the dwarf version.

I guess the problem with oleander is the poisonous flowers. It's is one of
the most toxic plants that exists. Check out the toxicity on this web page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleander. But if you don't like your
neighbors...that is another story.

"Ben Phlat" wrote in message
.. .
Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the
back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property
behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas grass
or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have
irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar
that can comment or make suggestions?
Thanks.

--Ben

It's not so much the neighbors as all the roosters that have showed up
with the new owner. Well maybe it is the neighbors...............:-)

--Ben