Old 18-12-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Indoor Avacado tree problems.

I started an Avacado tree from a seed a few months ago by using the
toothpick in water method to suspend the Avacado over the water until
it sprouted. Since then I have purchased some potting soil and placed
the pit 3/4 of the way in the soil.

Now it goes through a cycle where it will produce 3 nice large healthy
leaves, then in about a week they start to look wilted and then
starting at the tips back they turn black and die. I then pinch them
off and then the plant produces 3 more nice healthy looking leaves and
the cycle repeats. It has done this 4 or 5 times now and the 'trunk'
has gotten a bit longer.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I was hoping that someone here
could tell me how to make this a healthy plant.

Old 18-12-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
I started an Avacado tree from a seed a few months ago by using the
toothpick in water method to suspend the Avacado over the water until
it sprouted. Since then I have purchased some potting soil and placed
the pit 3/4 of the way in the soil.

Now it goes through a cycle where it will produce 3 nice large healthy
leaves, then in about a week they start to look wilted and then
starting at the tips back they turn black and die. I then pinch them
off and then the plant produces 3 more nice healthy looking leaves and
the cycle repeats. It has done this 4 or 5 times now and the 'trunk'
has gotten a bit longer.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I was hoping that someone here
could tell me how to make this a healthy plant.

Lots of info he
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadowebsite%...l/Answers.html

The first issue to deal with is light requirements. Without investing in
some pretty serious plant lights, you'll never be able to give the plant
enough light. Even on a cloudy day, the light is brighter than what you can
provide indoors, unless you're prepared to see your electric bill go up
noticeably.

Old 18-12-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day,

first up the avacado isn't an indoor plant, they usually grow out in
the ground in ful sun.

you would need a very bright positions or even a light over it to keep
it happy. then the watering needs to be controlled, i would suggest
let it dry out a bit before watering it fully, in winter they may mean
a once a month watering?

also it may work better if the new seedling was allowed to establish
outside in a nice warm bright spot before it was bought inside.

and then the rule of thumb may need to be applied for every '2 weeks
inside give it 5 weeks outside'.

On 18 Dec 2006 08:46:04 -0800, wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 18-12-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well, I live in northern Canada so it is not possible to keep it
outside, especially in the winter. So you think that the plant is not
getting enough light?

Old 18-12-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
Well, I live in northern Canada so it is not possible to keep it
outside, especially in the winter. So you think that the plant is not
getting enough light?

If don't have plant lights, then it is pretty much guaranteed that it's not
getting enough light. If you want to approach an ideal level, this is what
marijuana growers do (and I mention this because they've probably advanced
the art of indoor growing more than just about anyone else): You'll need at
LEAST eight fluorescent plant lights, preferably mounted vertically around
the plant. And, four more above the plant, inches above the highest leaves.
Ugly, but oh well. The other option would be sodium lights, about 5000
watts' worth, and they should be on for 8-10 hours a day.

Crazy, yes? But, that's the only way you'll have a plant that really looks
good. If you can settle for sad results, just one or two fluorescent tubes
will do the trick.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is the reality.

Old 19-12-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:30:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

And be prepared for the Narcs squad to bust down the door after the electric
company tips them off of the huge jump in your electric bill.

Old 19-12-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
snip If don't have plant lights, then it is pretty much guaranteed that
it's not getting enough light. If you want to approach an ideal level, this
is what marijuana growers do (and I mention this because they've probably
advanced the art of indoor growing more than just about anyone else): snip

Hi,
Avocados will grow indoors and have been used as houseplants for years. I
think your problem started with the toothpick and water trick. Next time
plant the seed 1/2 deep in good soil in a pot and keep warm and moist as in
not wet. No traumatic potting with soggy / weak roots. If you are not trying
to fruit the thing you won't need the "THC Special" light setup either
although they won't do well in shade.
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/AvocadoFromSeed.html has lots of info.

HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 19-12-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I don't grow marijuana so I don't
have access to the expensive lights. But if it's lack of light that is
the problem I'll put it in the brightest window of the house so it can
get all of the 7 hours of daylight we get here now, and I'll leave the
2x60w bulbs above it on all day and night to see if it does any better.

I just pinched off the last set of leaves 2 days ago and this morning I
noticed that it is producing 3 more leaves already. It is pretty
resiliant that way anyway.

Old 19-12-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I don't grow marijuana so I don't
have access to the expensive lights.

I hope you weren't serious with that statement!

Old 19-12-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

certainly sounds like less than ideal conditions to start with i
expect growing one in your climate is going to mean a climate control
hot house would be needed, as these plants generally aren't grown much
in climates colder than warm temporate, most are grown in the tropics,
sub/tropics.

also if the plant is too near a window there could be a lot of cold
air affecting it as would central heating which tends to dry out the
air in the home.

snipped

Old 19-12-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes, it was pretty dry in our house however just last week we had a new
centeral humidifier installed, so that should help (set at 35%
currently). And the window it is by does not get noticably cold,
although I did think that was a factor at one point so I moved it away
from there but it did not solve the problem.

Old 19-12-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

They also like decent air circulation. If you have forced air heat, that's
enough to move the air.

oups.com...

gardenlen wrote:
certainly sounds like less than ideal conditions to start with i
expect growing one in your climate is going to mean a climate control
hot house would be needed, as these plants generally aren't grown much
in climates colder than warm temporate, most are grown in the tropics,
sub/tropics.

also if the plant is too near a window there could be a lot of cold
air affecting it as would central heating which tends to dry out the
air in the home.

[IMG] code is On

Need Help with My Avacado Tree [email protected] Gardening 0 22-10-2006 05:46 PM
Avacado Tree Rachel Edible Gardening 5 31-10-2004 07:15 AM
Avacado Tree Drooping Rachel Gardening 1 25-10-2004 12:56 AM
Avacado's Janine Smith Permaculture 8 26-02-2003 12:46 PM
avacado pit ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:04 AM