Old 16-04-2003, 05:44 PM
ande

Default Purple smoke tree

I am considering planting a Purple Smoke tree and was wondering if anyone
had any experiences with them. Any pros or cons? TIA

zone 7, Central NC

Old 17-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"ande" wrote:

I am considering planting a Purple Smoke tree and was wondering if anyone
had any experiences with them. Any pros or cons? TIA

zone 7, Central NC

Species name please: the one I'm thinking of would die at the
first hard frost.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 17-04-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

I'm assuming cotinus, which is very hardy - but I'm not sure how it would
handle the heat and humidity of a north Carolina summer.

Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
ande

Cotinus Cog. Atropurpurea is the most common species I have seen. Although
I have not purchased a tree or made a decision yet so I can't say what
species I may end up with at that time. I was just wondering if anyone had
experience with them (one growing in their yard).

Old 17-04-2003, 05:08 PM
animaux

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:28:49 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

"ande" wrote:

I am considering planting a Purple Smoke tree and was wondering if anyone
had any experiences with them. Any pros or cons? TIA

zone 7, Central NC

Species name please: the one I'm thinking of would die at the
first hard frost.

Tsu

Which species would die at first hard frost?

Old 18-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Pam

ande wrote:

Cotinus Cog. Atropurpurea is the most common species I have seen. Although
I have not purchased a tree or made a decision yet so I can't say what
species I may end up with at that time. I was just wondering if anyone had
experience with them (one growing in their yard).

They are pretty easy to grow and require minimal care. They are native to
Southern Europe into China, so I would assume they will tolerate a reasonable
amount of heat and humidity without problems. Dirr makes no special note of
problems with southern climates. They are drought tolerant once established. I
am unfamiliar with a cultivar by the name of 'Atropurpurea', but 'Purpureus'
has only green foliage with pink/purple blushed inflorescense. There are
superior purple-leafed forms readily available, like 'Royal Purple' or 'Velvet
Cloak'

BTW, they are generally considered to be more of a shrub than a tree as ultimate
height is only in the 10-15' range and they typically are multistemmed or very
low branching.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-04-2003, 02:20 PM
SAS567

I am considering planting a Purple Smoke tree and was wondering if anyone
had any experiences with them. Any pros or cons? TIA

zone 7, Central NC

Species name please: the one I'm thinking of would die at the
first hard frost.

Tsu

Which species would die at first hard frost?

My Mom & I both have Purple Smoke Bushes, (don't ask me for the scientific
name} she's had hers for 20yrs. I've had mine for 10yrs. We live in Zone 5
(Michigan) and there is not a problem with frost, snow, or freezing temps.
Sue Zone 5 (Mi.)

Old 18-04-2003, 07:08 PM
ande

Thanks Sue!

"SAS567" wrote in message

I am considering planting a Purple Smoke tree and was wondering if

anyone
had any experiences with them. Any pros or cons? TIA

zone 7, Central NC

Species name please: the one I'm thinking of would die at the
first hard frost.

Tsu

Which species would die at first hard frost?

My Mom & I both have Purple Smoke Bushes, (don't ask me for the scientific
name} she's had hers for 20yrs. I've had mine for 10yrs. We live in Zone 5
(Michigan) and there is not a problem with frost, snow, or freezing temps.
Sue Zone 5 (Mi.)

[IMG] code is On

Purple smoke bush Patricia Thorpe United Kingdom 0 02-10-2011 12:41 PM
what looks like a pink smoke tree? Jim Shaffer Gardening 2 22-07-2006 07:41 PM
Old Smoke Tree Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 0 07-06-2005 09:20 AM
Caterpillars on smoke tree...... John Mac Gardening 0 12-07-2003 04:20 AM
Green Smoke Tree Surfs Up Gardening 1 13-05-2003 07:44 PM