Old 07-01-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Raised garden North-South or East-West ?

I have been given 10 - 2 1/2 in x 11 1/2 in x 8 ft boards and plan on
making two 4 x 16 ft raised beds.
Looked on the WEB and found some say North-South others say East-West.

Bob ( Northen CA )

Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:
I have been given 10 - 2 1/2 in x 11 1/2 in x 8 ft boards and plan on
making two 4 x 16 ft raised beds.
Looked on the WEB and found some say North-South others say East-West.

Bob ( Northen CA )

Our main garden, 26 ft X 17 ft, runs east and west to get sun coverage
all day. Does well. We have another that is 30 inches by 75 ft, runs
alongside a hurricane fence. Does equally well as it is on the west side
of our home and there are no trees next door to shade it. Does equally
well as the other. I reckon it's a crap shoot and depends on how much
your raised beds will be shaded from the sun.

George, SW LA

Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Main issue is to be sure to arrange the crops you are planting so that
big leaf ones do not shade the rest. I have concluded that several 4ft.
x 4ft. gardens is the best way to go as it allows you to segegate
different types of foliage to maximize the sunlight. With a 4 x 4
orientation becomes a mute point.
Jay

Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

g;day bob,

generally north/south so that bothe sides of the bed get even
sunshine.

On 7 Jan 2007 05:41:02 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I ran my raised beds, 3 X 16, north/south. They were 3 feet wide because
that was the length I could reach while seated on one side and reaching
across to the other. I planted the west most bed with the very tallest
stuff, on purpose, because it shaded my leafy salad crops in the bed next to
it from the harshest of the afternoon sun. The rest of the beds got full sun
from sunrise to sunset. The lumber I used was the same dimension as yours
but I made mine two boards high, approx 24". I used the trimmings of 4" x 4"
fence posts to lag bolt the corners and where the boards butted up to each
other. Since a back injury kept me from bending I used another piece of the
lumber from the sides to make a sliding bench. My raised beds where a scant
18" apart, the exact width of one swipe with the lawn mower. Under the
sliding seat I screwed 2x2s across the ends so the board wouldn't slip "off
the rails" so to speak. I could work along without my back giving me
problems while seated and just pull my weed/harvest basket with me. I could
do two beds at each sitting, very efficient, and didn't let my screwed up
spine stop me from growing fabulous veggie crops.

Val

ups.com...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Bob wrote:
I have been given 10 - 2 1/2 in x 11 1/2 in x 8 ft boards and plan on
making two 4 x 16 ft raised beds.
Looked on the WEB and found some say North-South others say East-West.

Bob ( Northen CA )

Thank you all for your help.
I guess North-South on both sides of my walkway to the shop.

Now the work starts!

Bob

Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:
Bob wrote:
I have been given 10 - 2 1/2 in x 11 1/2 in x 8 ft boards and plan on
making two 4 x 16 ft raised beds.
Looked on the WEB and found some say North-South others say East-West.

Bob ( Northen CA )

Thank you all for your help.
I guess North-South on both sides of my walkway to the shop.

Now the work starts!

Bob

Yes, it makes so little difference that if you have a walkway in place
it makes sense to turn it into one of the paths. Also keep in mind that
if you plant in blocks (say, a 4X4 patch of carrots next to a 4X$ patch
of cabbage) is different than if you plant in rows ( a 30 ft row of
carrots next to a 30ft row of cabbage). Rows may prefer N-S but patches
may prefer E-W. Finally, shade turns to your advantage oftentimes. Many
fall and winter greens will do better if they are shaded by, say,
tomatoes during the hot months. I make it a point of planting cabbage
under the pole beans. It is not beneficial to the beans, but the N from
their roots and the shade turns superb cabbage by season's end.
Carrots, bok choi, lettuce, chicory, will also prefer a little shading
in the summer.