GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grassy tomatos (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1522-grassy-tomatos.html)

Thaedeus Zefuldar 19-02-2003 03:39 PM

grassy tomatos

I used to love tomatos, but over the last decade or so
I have noticed that the ones I can get in the stores
are more and more grassy smelling/tasting.

Does anyone know what causes this?
Is there a variety, growing method that minimizes this effect?

Help!!!!

--Zef

david 19-02-2003 09:27 PM

grassy tomatos

Here in UK and in much of Europe the trend if for Vine Tomatoes, that is
ripened and sold as a full Truss of fruit, the taste is much more what you
would want.
growing your own look for older varieties, don't over feed and grow them a
little hard, if they grow lush the flavour goes.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries