Old 15-01-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Are home shows worth the cost?

Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvement show?
We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show in March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian is $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product
samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750-
$1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the next 30-
60 days after the show.
Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies
Direct email

Old 16-01-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 15 Jan 2007 14:42:21 -0800, "
wrote:

Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvement show?
We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show in March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian is $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product
samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750-
$1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the next 30-
60 days after the show.
Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies
Direct email

I went to one. It was a total waste of money and time.
Old 16-01-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvement show?
We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show in March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian is $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product
samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750-
$1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the next 30-
60 days after the show.
Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies
Direct email

If you're not going to have a retail location, or do installations, I don't
think it makes sense to exhibit at a home show. You'll only be seen by a
tiny fraction of the customers you want. Find out what it costs to put the
smallest possible ad (but more than just a line) in the yellow pages, even
if it's in the same section as pet shops which sell fish.

Old 16-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered User

Smile

Frank wrote:
Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvement show?
We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show in March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian is $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product
samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750-
$1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the next 30-
60 days after the show.
Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies
Direct email

No experience but sounds like a lot of bucks to do something that could
be much cheaper to do with local newspaper ads. You are also not
accounting for the time you will have to sit at a booth at the show
plus the effort it will take in getting exhibits together. My son's ex
had a craft business where she did a lot of shows and business had only
slight return on investment. Better to concentrate on areas where
return is better.

Frank

i agree with the others it would make more sense to put a really good display
on your web site (if u have one) as well as spend the money on advertising.
such as putting flyers in some really good newspapers that have a broadbase of
customers inside and outside of your area. also try putting your advertising on
local and area radios that might help to generate better sales. good luck, sockiescat

Old 17-01-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

We long ago stopped going to what we call the "hot tub" shows. I
never buy anything or use any of the services when we do go. I may
never go to another one since they are always exactly the same, sell
the same brushes, mops and brooms and the same sorry fake dirty rug
demonstrations.

Old 17-01-2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

na its a scam

tell you what to do since you arent in my market
take $250 of that money and put out some flyers
to local landscape people and plumbers

you probably wont get any more hits then going to
that event but you will have saved money

ups.com...