GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Evergreens Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/152481-evergreens-question.html)

[email protected] 22-01-2007 09:33 PM

Evergreens Question

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.
What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

Thanks
Art

William Wagner 22-01-2007 10:28 PM

Evergreens Question

In article .com,
wrote:

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.

Japanese Holly

What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

Depends if you want instant gratification then you must pay for it.
Yet small plants turn into large ones.

I'd consider a berm with rhododendrons.

Bill

Thanks
Art

PS OK to make many mistakes so look about your neighbor plantings.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

[email protected] 22-01-2007 11:32 PM

Evergreens Question

William Wagner wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.

Japanese Holly

What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

Depends if you want instant gratification then you must pay for it.
Yet small plants turn into large ones.

I'd consider a berm with rhododendrons.

Bill

Thanks
Art

PS OK to make many mistakes so look about your neighbor plantings.

--

I need instant gratification.
I am building a duplex and will be selling half of it. Cannot wait

Gary 22-01-2007 11:43 PM

Evergreens Question

On Jan 22, 2:33 pm, wrote:
I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.
What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

Thanks
Art

Some plants/trees are more sensitive than others to exhaust from
automobiles, so if it's a busy highway and/or your trees will be in
close proximity to the road, that might be another thing to consider in
deciding what to use.

Kay Lancaster 23-01-2007 03:42 AM

Evergreens Question

On 22 Jan 2007 13:33:57 -0800, wrote:
I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.
What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

You probably won't get much noise attenuation from trees or shrubs --
a solid berm or wall will do much better. You might consider windows
especially designed for noise reduction -- I know they're out there, but
can't give you any details. Choice of building materials may also help--
the houses I've been in with ICF walls have been very quiet (ICF: those
styrofoam giant lego blocks filled with concrete).

http://www.nonoise.org/library/highway/probresp.htm
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/noise/design/3.htm.
http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/soar/scip...0/StevenP.html
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/environme...ysis/faqs.html

Felder 23-01-2007 10:15 PM

Evergreens Question

wrote:
William Wagner wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Maybe consider a fence. Shrubs and such do very little with noise.
A fence to block some of the noise and a water feature (fountain) to
mask the remaining noise would be a decent solution.

-Felder

[email protected] 24-01-2007 07:24 AM

Evergreens Question

zone??? frankly, cost is VERY local, so call around and ask in your neck of the
woods. Ingrid

wrote:

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice.
My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature
evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and
dense.
What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for
80 ft frontage?

Thanks
Art

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at