Old 16-04-2003, 11:08 PM
tcnolan

Default planting on hill

Hi...

We are looking for planting ideas for a hill in our backyard.

Right now it is just weeds, no grass. It gets sunlight most of the
day except for late afternoon. We tried planting wildflowers last
year but that did not turn out so well.

Any ideas for what types of plants and/or shrubs would grow well on a
hill and require low maintenance? It would be nice to have a little
color.

Thank you,

Terry
Old 17-04-2003, 12:56 AM
paghat

In article ,
(tcnolan) wrote:

Hi...

We are looking for planting ideas for a hill in our backyard.

Right now it is just weeds, no grass. It gets sunlight most of the
day except for late afternoon. We tried planting wildflowers last
year but that did not turn out so well.

Any ideas for what types of plants and/or shrubs would grow well on a
hill and require low maintenance? It would be nice to have a little
color.

Thank you,

Terry

You don't say your zone, but for me here in zone 8, I have a roadside
sun-garden that rarely needs any watering except maybe a bit at the height
of summer, & is mostly just ignored. "Just ignored" happens to be quite
nice for tulips, but apart from bulbs that like to dry out in summer
dormant time, here are some plants that have been taking care of
themselves:

Agastache hybrids (very colorfully flowering hyssops)
Agastache rugosa (wrinkled hyssop)
Alcea rosea var. Nigra (Black hollyhock)
Asters
Ballota pseudodictamnus (False divinity)
Buddleia davidii nanhoensis (butterfly bush)
Centranthus ruber (Red Valerian)
Choisya terneta x arizonica "Aztec Pearl" (Mexican Mock Orange)
Cotoneaster spp (various low-growing species)
Cytisus scoparius x C. dallimorei "Lilac Time" (a non-invasive broom cultivar)
Delosperma cooperi (trailing ice plant)
Echinops sphaerocephalus (globe-thistle)
Erysimum linifolium (wallflower)
Coreopsis verticillata (yellow threadleaf)
Gaultheria shallon (salal)
Gaura lindheimeri
Geum triforum ('old man's whiskers')
Helianthemum nummularium (Sun Rose)
Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon)
Iberis sempervirens (Candytuff)
Kniphofia (evergreen torch lilies)
Lavatera thuringiaca (tree mallow)
Lychnis coronaria (dusty miller)
Penstemons
Perovskia x atriplicifolia (Russian sage)
Rubus calycinoides (creeping raspberry)
Salvia sp (all sorts of sages)
Thymus vulgaris (Thyme)
Verbascum blattaria (Moth mullein)
Verbena bonariensis (Brazillian verbena)
Verbena canadensis "Homestead Purple" (trailing verbena)

Much more. That's just what I could pull out of my "what's in the gardens"
data base typing "sidewalk + road" as search criteria.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 17-04-2003, 09:32 PM
tcnolan

Thank you...

I will look into some of those plants :-)

Terry
Old 26-04-2003, 02:44 AM
terry

Junipers spread nicely and many are quite hardy here in zone 7. Just planted
a bank with blue rug junipers--grow only about 6" high:

Also scattered in several upright shrubs to give another dimension

m...