GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nightshade family? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/152692-nightshade-family.html)

[email protected] 29-01-2007 03:24 PM

Nightshade family?

Hi, can anyone tell me what this plant is?

http://i10.tinypic.com/2qwew5s.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/47ipkjo.jpg

It was growing wild in southern Tanzania, and I brought some of the
seeds home. The closest thing I've found while browsing the internet
has been Solanum marginatum, White-margined Nightshade. I've had this
plant 3 and a half years without knowing exactly what it is, so I
appreciate any help. It's only ever flowered once in this time.
Thanks
Graeme

told2b 29-01-2007 07:30 PM

Nightshade family?

http://i10.tinypic.com/2qwew5s.jpght...om/47ipkjo.jpg

It was growing wild in southern Tanzania, and I brought some of the
seeds home. The closest thing I've found while browsing the internet
has been Solanum marginatum, White-margined Nightshade. I've had this
plant 3 and a half years without knowing exactly what it is, so I
appreciate any help. It's only ever flowered once in this time.
Thanks
Graeme

Nice pictures. It sure looks like a solanum flower. Sorry, I don't
know which one.
Try looking at triquetrum, carolinense, eleagnifolium, angustum
and torvum (all solanums).
Perhaps a trip to the library to fins out which solanum varietie sgrow
in Tanzania?

Benno Bös 29-01-2007 08:57 PM

Nightshade family?

schrieb:

Hi, can anyone tell me what this plant is?

http://i10.tinypic.com/2qwew5s.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/47ipkjo.jpg

plant 3 and a half years without knowing exactly what it is, so I
appreciate any help. It's only ever flowered once in this time.

Solanum incanum?

--
************ das GIFTPFLANZEN.COMpendium ************
***** erweitert auf fast 700 Pflanzenportraits *****

[email protected] 31-01-2007 05:59 PM

Nightshade family?

Solanum incanum?

I think that's it, I remember the bush looking a bit like this: http://
botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/perdeck/afr_035.jpg

Thanks to both of you for your help.