GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to remove asphalt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/152738-how-remove-asphalt.html)

[email protected] 31-01-2007 07:01 PM

How to remove asphalt

Hi,
I am converting some driveway into beds and a walkway and I want to
remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I
(safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/
tile blade?

Eric

JoeSpareBedroom 31-01-2007 07:56 PM

How to remove asphalt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I am converting some driveway into beds and a walkway and I want to
remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I
(safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/
tile blade?

Eric

Eric:
This newsgroup isn't particularly busy at this time of year. Post it in
alt.home.repair, and you'll probably be buried in responses within two
hours.

Persephone 18-02-2007 08:19 PM

How to remove asphalt

On 31 Jan 2007 11:01:13 -0800, wrote:

Hi,
I am converting some driveway into beds and a walkway and I want to
remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I
(safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/
tile blade?

Eric

Try posting on alt.home.repair

Persephone

Alan Sung 19-02-2007 03:49 AM

How to remove asphalt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I am converting some driveway into beds and a walkway and I want to
remove some of the asphalt. Is a sledgehammer the way to go. Can I
(safely) score a line in the asphalt with a circular saw and concrete/
tile blade?

Eric

A score line in asphalt won't work like scoring a tile or glass. If you want
a nice clean line, then you almost need to cut thru the asphalt entirely. A
circular saw blade with diamonds will work, but you should use it wet. The
process will make a huge mess of your circular saw. Don't try to cut too
fast since you are going thru 2 or 3 inches of asphalt, not a 1/4" tile.

-alan sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA (zone 6a)