GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Air purifiers/ionizers and indoor plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/152814-air-purifiers-ionizers-indoor-plants.html)

Steve[_9_] 04-02-2007 07:40 AM

Air purifiers/ionizers and indoor plants

Hello. I have a question about indoor plants and air purifiers, or more
specifically the units that add Ozone to the room. Do indoor plants do
better or worse? Many thanks if you can answer.

-s-
___________________________________
Official Cha Cha Guide. Get your toolbar at
http://www.chachatoolbar.net/?tid=E9...B9-F4A0986CD3E
Invites available just ask!

[email protected] 08-02-2007 07:43 PM

Air purifiers/ionizers and indoor plants

ozone is hard on people and animals. not a great idea. Ingrid

"Steve" wrote:

Hello. I have a question about indoor plants and air purifiers, or more
specifically the units that add Ozone to the room. Do indoor plants do
better or worse? Many thanks if you can answer.

-s-
___________________________________
Official Cha Cha Guide. Get your toolbar at
http://www.chachatoolbar.net/?tid=E9...B9-F4A0986CD3E
Invites available just ask!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

dlzc 08-02-2007 08:02 PM

Air purifiers/ionizers and indoor plants

Dear Steve:

On Feb 4, 12:40 am, "Steve" wrote:
Hello. I have a question about indoor plants and air
purifiers, or more specifically the units that add
Ozone to the room. Do indoor plants do better or
worse? Many thanks if you can answer.

Worse, in the air. Witness the damage to various stands of pine trees
near snowmobile paths, where ozone is much higher than ambient when
the Sun is shining.

Oxygen is a plant's waste product. They respire it. Ozone will try
and diffuse back into the plant's leaves, and they cannot (usually)
defend themselves from it.

Mixed in water, ozone can attack the parasites that hurt plants
(nematodes for example). Marigolds produce ozone in / at their roots
when under attack.

David A. Smith