Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Melinda Tennielle

Default Soil temperature

I have seeds that state that they're to be planted when the soil
temperature is over 60 degrees. Now, lacking my handy soil thermometer,
can I assume that when the ambient temp. is over 60, that the soil will
be too? Or does the darker color of the soil absorb heat and become
warmer than the air temp.? Does the soil stay warmer at night, so that
it only has to be around 60 during the day?

I'm a little embarrassed at not knowing this after four or five years of
gardening, so thanks for any help.

M.
--

Melinda Tennielle