GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/154041-wetas-walls-how-move-along.html)

kiwigirl 11-02-2007 10:18 PM

Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ?

Help .. in case there is anyone living in Australiasia .. any
suggestions for how I can remove Wetas from a internal wall (with VERY
small gaps) without killing them. I have removed (cutback) the method
of entry .. a beloved rambling Rose. Any help welcome .. they are a
little unnerving to find in the middle of the night !

mleblanca 12-02-2007 03:51 AM

On Feb 11, 2:18 pm, "kiwigirl" wrote:
Help .. in case there is anyone living in Australiasia .. any
suggestions for how I can remove Wetas from a internal wall (with VERY
small gaps) without killing them. I have removed (cutback) the method
of entry .. a beloved rambling Rose. Any help welcome .. they are a
little unnerving to find in the middle of the night !

Kiwigirl,
We wonder what wee wetas would want within walls?
Would wicked wetas wail wildly while wandering?
Well, wily wetas would be worrisome!!

I couldn't resist! Sorry not to be any help.
BTW........what ARE wetas?

Emilie in Northern California

Val 12-02-2007 06:28 AM

http://www.kcc.org.nz/animals/weta.asp

mleblanca 12-02-2007 05:21 PM

On Feb 11, 10:28 pm, "Val" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message
BTW........what ARE wetas?

Emilie in Northern California

http://www.kcc.org.nz/animals/weta.asp

Thank you, Val
Very interesting critters!
Emilie

[email protected] 13-02-2007 02:58 AM

Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ?

In article
. com,
says...

BTW........what ARE wetas?

They are really big, extremely creepy looking bugs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

"The weta’s place in the ecosystem is comparable to that held by
mice and other rodents elsewhere in the world."

http://images.google.co.nz/images?hl...=Search+Images

They are NOT nice or cuddly little pets.

If I had too many around my flat, I'd prolly move. Which
shouldn't be construed as being excessively scared of bugs. But,
if you ever suddenly came across one of them in your kitchen
(they don't run away), you would prolly feel the same way. They
are especially creepy.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

Cheryl Isaak 13-02-2007 11:30 AM

Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ?

On 2/12/07 12:21 PM, in article
, "mleblanca"
wrote:

On Feb 11, 10:28 pm, "Val" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message
BTW........what ARE wetas?

Emilie in Northern California

http://www.kcc.org.nz/animals/weta.asp

Thank you, Val
Very interesting critters!
Emilie

Sort of a locust on steroids!

Ann 13-02-2007 11:58 AM

Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ?

"mleblanca" expounded:

Here's a bit more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

George.com 13-02-2007 02:35 PM

Wetas in the walls ... how to move along ?

In terms of the original question see if you are able to email Rudd
Kleinpaste (the bug guy who used to be on Maggies Garden show) and get his
opinion.

rob

kiwigirl 14-02-2007 08:21 PM

On Feb 14, 3:35 am, "George.com" wrote:
In terms of the original question see if you are able to email Rudd
Kleinpaste (the bug guy who used to be on Maggies Garden show) and get his
opinion.

rob

Good suggestion thanks Rob ... and to the others thanks for the
smiles .. I've learnt something new .. they are unique to NZ.
Happy gardening all
Wendy