Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shade and Butterfly loving plants and flowers

Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 11, 2:51 pm, "Butterrose" wrote:
Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Redwood and a plam? Talk about night and day. A picture would help a
lot but I would suggest Heuchera http://www.prairiestarflowers.com/he...erry%20Ice.htm
it comes in purple foliage to green and pink red and white flowers
depending on leaf color. Asparagus fern sprengeri and or myersi
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/dbpages/
asparagus_sprengeri.html
http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/...aragus5716.jpg

In the sunny spots scabiosa is a great plant
http://www.uib.es/servei/comunicacio...iposa)_jpg.jpg

Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 Feb 2007 15:47:02 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Be really sure you want the asparagus before you plant it. I had some
start, probably from seed, and have tried for years to get rid of it.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 11, 2:51 pm, "Butterrose" wrote:
Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Rose
It is going to be difficult to attract butterflies into to the shade
of a redwood,
as BFs are sun lovers. Therefore, most of the flowers they love are
also.
Anyway, here's a list of things in my zone 9, NorCal garden that BFs
like.
You can see what you can do with them. (Don't forget containers which
can be moved in and out of the sun)
Buddleia, Butterfly Bush (can take some shade)
Lantana
Any flat, daisy-like flower: Zinnia, Black eyed Susan, Aster,
Echinacea,
Cosmos etc
Verbena
Phlox
Salvias especially blue/purple
Milkweed (butterfly weed)
Goldenrod
Yarrow
Good luck with your freinds garden
Emilie
NorCal

Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Not quite sure if these are shade loving, but for butterflies I was always
successful with planting Buddelhia (Butterfly Bush) and also Mexican
Sunflowers (Tithonia-Torch).

oups.com...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Butterrose wrote:
Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

The blooms come late in the year - but I love my Firespike.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1854/index.html

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 13-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterrose View Post
Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!
Hi,
I can recommend Echinacea Purperea,or maybe some sort of Hosta,although I dont know if butterflys would go for that,but the Echinacea seems to attract them into my garden in central England.
Stokie.
BE LOYAL,BE PROUD,BE STOKE.
Old 28-02-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

A minor caution. I put in some attractive-to-butterfly plants and was a
little dismayed to find that the bee to butterfly ratio was about 100 to 1.
I didn't mind the bees, but some visitors did.

All the advertised plants seem to work; just don't go overboard would be my
advice.
Old 28-02-2007, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Rob expounded:

A minor caution. I put in some attractive-to-butterfly plants and was a
little dismayed to find that the bee to butterfly ratio was about 100 to 1.
I didn't mind the bees, but some visitors did.

All the advertised plants seem to work; just don't go overboard would be my
advice.

Nectar plants will attract all pollinators, and the bees need
everything they can get right now. They're under siege from so many
angles.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 28-02-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Rob wrote in
. 11:

A minor caution. I put in some attractive-to-butterfly plants and was
a little dismayed to find that the bee to butterfly ratio was about
100 to 1. I didn't mind the bees, but some visitors did.

All the advertised plants seem to work; just don't go overboard would
be my advice.

Go over to your neighbor's lawn late at night and spread some white clover
seed. Perhaps the bees will go there instead.

Old 28-02-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

I can't do that to the neighbor - he would take it as retaliatory. He
still hasn't forgiven me for accusing him years ago of chemical warfare,
i.e. Roundup on a windy day.

Actually, as Ann noted, there are fewer bees around lately so the
"problem" is less, to the detriment of the bees, of course.

FragileWarrior wrote in
:

Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote :

Go over to your neighbor's lawn late at night and spread some white
clover seed. Perhaps the bees will go there instead. - Hide quoted text -

article about disappearing bees
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/bu...ees.html?ex=13
30232400&en=3d5500b8a37b8976&ei=5090&partner=rss
userland&emc=rss
or
http://tinyurl.com/2pu6ct

[IMG] code is On

Seeking shade-loving plants and roses for tubs. Frederick Williams United Kingdom 6 23-05-2008 03:57 PM
Shade loving marginal plants? [email protected] Ponds 23 11-08-2003 02:22 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Shade loving plants? JB Australia 1 31-03-2003 02:32 AM
Shade loving plants? brainspace Australia 4 28-03-2003 07:32 PM