Old 24-02-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stapelia tips shriveling

I have a Stapelia variegata whose leaves are turning yellow and
shriveling away to nothing at the tips. Only the last half-inch or so
of each leaf is affected, the remainder of the leaves are still green
and turgid. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Old 24-02-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Shaffer" wrote in message
I have a Stapelia variegata whose leaves are turning yellow and
shriveling away to nothing at the tips. Only the last half-inch or so
of each leaf is affected, the remainder of the leaves are still green
and turgid. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I don't know those plants well, but my first guess would be the water. What
is the source? Municipal water? Well water? Softened? Is it winter where you
live? How often are you watering?

Old 24-02-2007, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I don't know those plants well, but my first guess would be the water. What
is the source? Municipal water? Well water? Softened? Is it winter where you
live? How often are you watering?

Municipal water, not softened, varies in quality but tends to be on
the hard side. It's winter, I'm watering it lightly once a week, it's
potted in a mixture of about 50% commercial potting soil and 50% sand.

Old 24-02-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I don't know those plants well, but my first guess would be the water.
What
is the source? Municipal water? Well water? Softened? Is it winter where
you
live? How often are you watering?

Municipal water, not softened, varies in quality but tends to be on
the hard side. It's winter, I'm watering it lightly once a week, it's
potted in a mixture of about 50% commercial potting soil and 50% sand.

Some plants are sensitive to levels of chlorine that you and I don't notice.
The best thing for house plants is to age the water in an open container for
a couple of days before using it. Chlorine will dissipate by then.

This site's got some interesting tips about avoiding fungal issues around
the stems, but not much about how to recognize the problem.
http://www.succulent-plant.com/stapelia.html

I'm betting first on the water.

Old 24-02-2007, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:01:11 -0500, Jim Shaffer wrote:
I have a Stapelia variegata whose leaves are turning yellow and
shriveling away to nothing at the tips. Only the last half-inch or so
of each leaf is affected, the remainder of the leaves are still green
and turgid. Does anyone know what the problem is?

All leaves or just younger or older ones?

First thought for me when I see leaf tip death is usually salt burn.
How long has it been in the pot? Have you leached the soil? Use much
fertilizer? If you let some dry, does it make a nice white or yellowish
crust on top? Cu deficiency is another possibility, but a real long
shot -- and Cu is toxic enough I would rule everything else out first,
and then supply it as compost or well-rotted manure.

Old 24-02-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Feb 2007 10:42:06 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

All leaves or just younger or older ones?

Mostly older ones.

First thought for me when I see leaf tip death is usually salt burn.
How long has it been in the pot?

About a year.

Have you leached the soil?

No.

Use much fertilizer?

No.

If you let some dry, does it make a nice white or yellowish
crust on top?

There is a small amount of crust. I have some crust on a lot of my
indoor plants, I think it's from the water supply which, as I've said,
tends to be on the hard side. I've never had it result in leaf burn
in a plant so young though (I only got the Stapelia last year), and
usually repot before it becomes a problem. I've also never had leaf
burn on succulents, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Old 24-02-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

The site I pointed out earlier said that in winter (short days), water less,
or maybe not at all. If it's winter where you live, wait this situation out.
When the plant seems to be making new growth, collect some rain water and
and pour LOTS of it through the soil. Do it over the sink so the water can
drain out thoroughly. Or, if you don't want to wait, repot with fresh soil,
melt some clean snow, and use that to water the plant.

[IMG] code is On

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 02:30 PM
Shriveling? [email protected] Bamboo 3 25-03-2005 06:30 AM
Qestions for Stapelia Growers Shell Gardening 4 12-10-2004 11:47 PM
Clemitis leaves going brown and shriveling up ??? Tone United Kingdom 7 16-06-2004 01:10 AM
P. Dtps. Buds Shriveling Pristella Orchids 1 12-02-2003 08:25 PM