Old 02-03-2007, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Free young silver dollar eucalyptus trees in SoCal

We have 8 young (about 8 -12 feet tall, planted within the last couple
years, still staked up for support) silver dollar eucalyptus trees in the
Los Angeles area that are free to a good home. They should transplant very
well (one blew over last year in a wind storm and had a small root ball).

They are very healthy, very attractive and free to someone who wants to take
them. They could make a stunning little grove.

The previous owner of our house planted them along our driveway, and
although they look very nice now, they are too closely spaced and will
become too tall for where they are located.

If you think you are interested, just let me know.

best,

doug

Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

We have 8 young (about 8 -12 feet tall, planted within the last couple
years, still staked up for support) silver dollar eucalyptus trees in the
Los Angeles area that are free to a good home. They should transplant very
well

They won't transplant at that size. They just die if anyone trys to
transplant them.

If they are too big for the position but you want to keep them then you
could just chop them off at ankle height and they will put out lots of new
growth of the immature foliage which is what they are most popular for ie
the "silver dollar" look. In australia they are known as the "Argyle
Apple".

Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

We have 8 young (about 8 -12 feet tall, planted within the last couple
years, still staked up for support) silver dollar eucalyptus trees in the
Los Angeles area that are free to a good home. They should transplant
very well

They won't transplant at that size. They just die if anyone trys to
transplant them.

If they are too big for the position but you want to keep them then you
could just chop them off at ankle height and they will put out lots of new
growth of the immature foliage which is what they are most popular for ie
the "silver dollar" look. In australia they are known as the "Argyle
Apple".

Thank you very much -- I will try what you are suggesting. they are
beautiful trees and I do not want to kill them if I can help it.

So I can cut them off with a chain saw at ankle height and they will become
bushes? Is it that simple?

Thanks again for your advice -- much appreciated.

best,

doug

Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Yep. Australian Eucalypts are tough as they need to be able to survive what
people in the US call wildfires. But they don't transplant at all well so
if you want to grow them you are better to buy a 9 inch tall seedling than a
3 foot high plant. the 9 inch seedling will outgrow the 3 ft high one in a
season.

If you're unsure or timorous about the chainsaw remedy, try cutting off one
or two at ankle height and wait. You were going to give them away anyway so
if you don't like the result then you've lost nothing. Don't overfeed them
or overwater them either, and lay off any phorsphorus fertilser as Australia
is a whole continent which has limited supplies of phosphorus.

This site may help you. Scroll down and look for "Argyle Apple" which is
it's Australian name.
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199..._ten_gum_trees

Thanks again for your advice -- much appreciated.

Most welcome.