GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/154804-what-do-you-call-white-stuff-around-orange-grapefruit.html)

[email protected] 03-03-2007 05:18 AM

What do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit?

Hey there,
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?
Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone
could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)

Thanks
Eric

Travis M. 03-03-2007 06:26 AM

What do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey there,
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?
Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone
could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)

Pith works for me.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Chris and Jacqui 03-03-2007 11:28 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey there,
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?
Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone
could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)

Thanks
Eric

It's called pith.

Jacqui

FragileWarrior 03-03-2007 02:10 PM

What do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit?

"Chris and Jacqui" wrote in news:81bba$45e95c3c$cf704776
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey there,
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?
Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone
could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)

Thanks
Eric

It's called pith.

Jacqui

And the peel part is called the zest. (Hey! It's the only word I knew!)

beecrofter 03-03-2007 02:34 PM

On Mar 3, 12:18 am, wrote:
Hey there,
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?
Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone
could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)

Thanks
Eric

It is the portion of the pericarp called the mesocarp.

[email protected][_2_] 04-03-2007 12:56 AM

On Mar 4, 1:34 am, "beecrofter" wrote:
I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or
grapefruit?

It is the portion of the pericarp called the mesocarp.

Now you are just taking the pith

David

Cheryl Isaak 06-03-2007 03:02 PM

What do you call the white stuff around an orange orgrapefruit?

NEAT! thanks so much! my daughter will love this site!