Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default can't read articles older than about 9 days - help!

I'm using a news server called aioe.org, and for some reason I can't read
anything that is more than about 9 days old.

I realize that this isn't directly garden related, but it really affects
my ability to read older gardening usenet articles in here.

Can anyone suggest another free usenet server that doesn't seem to get rid
of messages until they are at least two weeks old? Sometimes I don't get on
here all that often, so I'd like to be able to read articles several weeks
back.

I'm using outlook express as my news reader, so if there is some setting
in there that might affect this, please tell me!

Thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

I'm using a news server called aioe.org, and for some reason I can't read
anything that is more than about 9 days old.

I realize that this isn't directly garden related, but it really affects
my ability to read older gardening usenet articles in here.

Can anyone suggest another free usenet server that doesn't seem to get rid
of messages until they are at least two weeks old? Sometimes I don't get on
here all that often, so I'd like to be able to read articles several weeks
back.

I'm using outlook express as my news reader, so if there is some setting
in there that might affect this, please tell me!

Thanks

Goggle Groups.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gardens/topics

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
I'm using a news server called aioe.org, and for some reason I can't read
anything that is more than about 9 days old.

I realize that this isn't directly garden related, but it really affects
my ability to read older gardening usenet articles in here.

Can anyone suggest another free usenet server that doesn't seem to get
rid of messages until they are at least two weeks old? Sometimes I don't
get on here all that often, so I'd like to be able to read articles
several weeks back.

I'm using outlook express as my news reader, so if there is some setting
in there that might affect this, please tell me!

Thanks

Click Tools, then Options, and check the various tabs. See if you can spot
the appropriate option. Exploring is a good way to learn. If you don't find
the right thing, come back & tell us.

It's always possible that your news server discards messages older than 9
days, but that's pretty short.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message

from William Wagner contains these words:

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

Google groups does archive newsgroups free to anyone, but not in
their entirety, and its very cumbersome and littered with spam trash.
It's not a newsreader, which is what he wants

Good newsreaders provide a wide range of (automated) choices about how
ngs are presented, (or eliminated) how long they are retained etc. Mine
is zimacs, a free service from the isp I subscribe to (zetnet)

Janet.

My provider is Snip.net which provides access to Usenet. But I perfer
Supernews a paid subscription for 31734 + Groups. I use
MT-Newswatcher which is Donation Ware this on a Mac.

Bill who thought the OP wanted to read some older posts. I do not
know what Outlook Express does. I thought it was Mail.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 09-03-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"William Wagner" wrote in message
I do not
know what Outlook Express does. I thought it was Mail.

I read all my newsgroups on Outlook Express.........I have it set to save
messages for 90 days and you can also do a search from present back 5 years,
this also depends on your settings and ISP's news server.
on your OE window got to Tools
Accounts.......click the news tab
make sure it says
news.'yourisp'.com, OK
back to Tools.....click
'newsgroups' on the drop down menu and chose what you want to subscribe to.

It all depends on who your ISP uses for their news server and what their
settings are so why don't you just call their tech support and they'll help
you make sure all your settings are correct. Depending on ISP, newserver and
connections, your mileage may vary.

Val

Old 16-03-2007, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
I'm using a news server called aioe.org, and for some reason I can't read
anything that is more than about 9 days old.

I realize that this isn't directly garden related, but it really affects
my ability to read older gardening usenet articles in here.

Can anyone suggest another free usenet server that doesn't seem to get rid
of messages until they are at least two weeks old? Sometimes I don't get on
here all that often, so I'd like to be able to read articles several weeks
back.

I'm using outlook express as my news reader, so if there is some setting
in there that might affect this, please tell me!

Thanks

Your email program may be set to delete the files 9 days old.
What email program are you using? Check the settings.
That will be $25

[IMG] code is On

One liar can spread more falsehoods than a thousand honest men can correct (just like Koi-Lo) Koi-Lo Ponds 0 27-04-2006 09:23 PM
[IBC] I just read it for the articles! dalecochoy Bonsai 0 16-10-2003 05:22 PM
DIY co2 for longer than 7-14 days a Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 01-08-2003 03:12 AM
For the older ponders... ~ jan Ponds 25 05-02-2003 06:36 PM
For the older ponders...In Defense of Psychology! D Kat Ponds 0 27-01-2003 09:10 PM