GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weeping Beech Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/155079-weeping-beech-question.html)

saabdued 10-03-2007 08:02 PM

Weeping Beech Question

Hello. Trying to fight the winter blahs with spring tree planning. Looking
for recommendations for a tall yet narrow weeping beech tree. Some online
research led me to Fagus sylvatica 'Red Obelisk' and 'Black Swan'. Does
anyone know anything about these varieties or have some additional weeping
beech info that might be helpful? The location most likely will be in full
sun on Long Island, NY, in zone 7. Thanks very much in advance.

symplastless 10-03-2007 10:29 PM

Weeping Beech Question

They need something at least the size of a basketball court.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

JoeSpareBedroom 12-03-2007 12:51 AM

Weeping Beech Question

"saabdued" wrote in message
Hello. Trying to fight the winter blahs with spring tree planning. Looking
for recommendations for a tall yet narrow weeping beech tree. Some online
research led me to Fagus sylvatica 'Red Obelisk' and 'Black Swan'. Does
anyone know anything about these varieties or have some additional weeping
beech info that might be helpful? The location most likely will be in full
sun on Long Island, NY, in zone 7. Thanks very much in advance.

How close to the house or other structure do you want to plant the tree?

JoeSpareBedroom 12-03-2007 12:53 AM

Weeping Beech Question

"saabdued" wrote in message
Hello. Trying to fight the winter blahs with spring tree planning. Looking
for recommendations for a tall yet narrow weeping beech tree. Some online
research led me to Fagus sylvatica 'Red Obelisk' and 'Black Swan'. Does
anyone know anything about these varieties or have some additional weeping
beech info that might be helpful? The location most likely will be in full
sun on Long Island, NY, in zone 7. Thanks very much in advance.

Have you considered visiting this place before choosing a tree? Last time I
was there, there was quite a selection of fully grown monsters, all labeled.
Call ahead and see it that's still the case.

http://www.plantingfields.org/Calenda2/01.CFM

saabdued 13-04-2007 02:40 PM

Weeping Beech Question

Found them both. Went with the Red Obelisk, that will grow very tall but
will be very narrow even when mature. They are beautiful, and I recommend
them to anyone looking for something unique. Thanks