Old 17-03-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is 4 inches too deep for grass seed? (I've alreay planted them 4 inches)

I have an d aerator that puts 4 inch holes in lawn. I spent 10 hours
aerating the entire lawn, and hand inserted grass seeds into each
hole.
I am wondering if this will be ok. As Ive done it Ill just have to
see. Im sure some of the seeds landed less than 4 inches.
I also covered the entire land in 1/2 inch layer of sphagnum peat
moss.

Any answers to this I very much appreciate.

thx

Old 18-03-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an d aerator that puts 4 inch holes in lawn. I spent 10 hours
aerating the entire lawn, and hand inserted grass seeds into each
hole.

How big an area are you talking about?

Old 18-03-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article 1,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" says...
FragileWarrior
:

Grass seed is generally surface scattered and lightly raked to spread
it 'round. Yes, four inches is too deep. So is one inch. But, hey,
cheer up, if you plow grass under it seems to regrow up from under 10
inch thick upside down mud lumps so you might see something grow.

On the other hand, you might want to surface scatter some seed just to
increase your odds. Cover it lightly* with straw to protect it from
birds.

*not four inches

I have to seed the back lawn 2x a year due to heat and shade. I usually
aerate the lawn, water or do it right before it rains. Then I'll throw on
some starter fertilizer and top soil if needed and then spread the seed.
Water again and it usually does just fine.

"Water again"?

When I have over seeded, I have felt like a slave. Watering five
times a day. It helps to work from a home office. So I can
spend my lunch break on watering the @#&*! grass.

And it still doesn't look as nice as I want. I guess I gotta be
more disciplined.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 18-03-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
FragileWarrior
:

Grass seed is generally surface scattered and lightly raked to spread
it 'round. Yes, four inches is too deep. So is one inch. But, hey,
cheer up, if you plow grass under it seems to regrow up from under 10
inch thick upside down mud lumps so you might see something grow.

On the other hand, you might want to surface scatter some seed just to
increase your odds. Cover it lightly* with straw to protect it from
birds.

*not four inches

I have to seed the back lawn 2x a year due to heat and shade. I usually
aerate the lawn, water or do it right before it rains. Then I'll throw on
some starter fertilizer and top soil if needed and then spread the seed.
Water again and it usually does just fine.

Michael

Michael, this is nuts. There is something wrong with your lawn, and it's
more than just "heat and shade". At what times of year do you overseed it,
and what is the problem you're trying to solve?

Old 18-03-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom"
:

Michael, this is nuts. There is something wrong with your lawn, and
it's more than just "heat and shade". At what times of year do you
overseed it, and what is the problem you're trying to solve?

I'm not trying to solve anything. It's a miracle grass grows at all. The
soil conditions are not good for grass. I've done everything to it to
keep
it nice, to no avail. I've even had lawn experts out. I'm about to chop
up a third of it now I'm gonna add a small deck off of the one patio
that flows off the dining room. That'll get rid of some of it.

Michael

Are there lawn nazis in your area who'd complain if the entire thing was
planted with chamomile?

Old 19-03-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom"
:

Are there lawn nazis in your area who'd complain if the entire thing
was planted with chamomile?

*sigh* Just the person I live with. Almost everyone around here is
heavily
into gardening and cooking.

Michael

He better be good lookin', 'cause he sure doesn't sound smart. Does he
believe in things like this? "Lawn chemicals must be safe, or they wouldn't
be allowed to sell them".

Old 19-03-2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom"
:

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom"
:

Are there lawn nazis in your area who'd complain if the entire thing
was planted with chamomile?

*sigh* Just the person I live with. Almost everyone around here is
heavily
into gardening and cooking.

Michael

He better be good lookin', 'cause he sure doesn't sound smart. Does he
believe in things like this? "Lawn chemicals must be safe, or they
wouldn't be allowed to sell them".

He's still a hottie, even at 51. He really dislikes any lawn, or garden,
chemicals. He just wants a patch of lawn in the back. It is very
irritating

Michael

Humor me, if you will. Tell them that some nut on usenet told you he fixes
the leak in his bathroom sink faucet every week. Exact same parts &
procedure every week, and he's been doing it for the past five years. Let me
know what he says.

Please?

Old 19-03-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom"
:

Humor me, if you will. Tell them that some nut on usenet told you he
fixes the leak in his bathroom sink faucet every week. Exact same
parts & procedure every week, and he's been doing it for the past five
years. Let me know what he says.

Please?

Hmmmm... I dont' know if he can relate to that. Hows about I tell him
some
nut on Usenet told me they repair the pediatric unit's heart monitor, the
same way, every week using the same parts and procedures...

Michael

OK. Anything that will make him think "Why don't they just find the
underlying problem and be done with it?"