Old 19-04-2003, 11:56 AM
info

Default how can i dry Dill and other herbs?

this year i have a good crop , so much i can use and give my neighbors,
finding a place to hang it upside down is little bit difficult here in
Tampa, any advise?

Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 PM
redclay

info wrote in message
this year i have a good crop , so much i can use and give my neighbors,
finding a place to hang it upside down is little bit difficult here in
Tampa, any advise?

Spread them out on newspaper and turn them every two days. Do not put them
in direct sunlight because it will turn them black.

Old 19-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 06:45:13 -0400, "info"
wrote:

this year i have a good crop , so much i can use and give my neighbors,
finding a place to hang it upside down is little bit difficult here in
Tampa, any advise?

In Florida I found it necessary to provide extra air flow while drying
due to the high humidity so I spread mine on an old window screen out
of the direct sun in the Florida Room. Works well and dries nice and
crisp & green.

Dave Fouchey
Sterling Heights, MI

(Long way from Miami and Jacksonville!)

Old 19-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Valkyrie

"info" wrote in message
this year i have a good crop , so much i can use and give my neighbors,
finding a place to hang it upside down is little bit difficult here in
Tampa, any advise?

I dry parsley and dill in my oven. Put the herbs on a clean cookie sheet and
preheat the oven to 300 degrees and slide the sheet in on the middle rack
and WATCH IT LIKE A HAWK. After about 3 minutes I reach in and pinch the
herbs to see if they are dry and sort of crumbly and they shouldn't be
turning dark either, keep checking about every 30 seconds, it happens FAST.
Pull the sheet out and dump the herbs onto a clean towel to let cool. Then
put it into airtight containers and store away from any light. I put the
parsley into a fine wire sieve and work it through and collect the fine
bright green "parsley gold dust". You would not believe the intense aroma
and flavor this has! I've been doing this for several years now,
especially with parsley and it preserves the flavor and bright green color.
I have also used my food dehydrator to dry herbs, that also works really
well. I use it if I have more than just a cookie sheet sized batch. Let some
of your dill go to seed, too, the seeds can be used as much for flavoring as
the leaves. I like to toss a spoonful of dill seed into a batch of
buttermilk biscuits and cornbread batter for a little change once in awhile.

Val

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Françoise

To dry herbs, I attach them together and I hang them in my garage. I also=

freeze them; I find that the taste is fresher when frozen. For mint, I
always dry them in the garage. When the branches are dried I grumble the
leaves and put them in small plastic bags. It makes good mint tea.

Fran=E7oise.

-----=3D=3D Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =3D-----

Old 20-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I dried basil in my oven once, and lost all the flavour. So beware.

"info" wrote in message
this year i have a good crop , so much i can use and give my neighbors,
finding a place to hang it upside down is little bit difficult here in
Tampa, any advise?

[IMG] code is On

collecting seeds from koriander and other herbs Dominic-Luc Webb Edible Gardening 11 16-09-2005 06:21 PM
Good King Henry and other 'odd' herbs ajr United Kingdom 54 10-04-2004 06:06 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Pruning oregano (and other herbs) Peter Werner Edible Gardening 8 29-07-2003 03:32 AM
Pruning oregano (and other herbs) Peter Werner Gardening 3 26-07-2003 10:42 AM