GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1555-bags-over-ears-corn-keep-out-raccoons.html)

Tim B 20-02-2003 03:51 AM

Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons

We aren't allowed to have electric fence because of a homeowners association
rule. And the last time I enclosed the entire garden in a chicken wire
fence, pretty tall, with the top two feet flapping back outward so the
raccoons will fall off when they climbed up, they got in anyway, and the
fence got weedy and unattractive.

So I'm thinking of using the method of bagging each ear of corn to protect
them from raccoons.

(1) At what point in the corn development cycle do you tie the bags on? I
know, the day before the raccoons decide the corn is ready to eat. Would
that be when the ears are all filled out, so that I don't interfere with
that process?

(2) Anybody have success with this method of protection?