GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ivy removal - bobcat? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/155532-ivy-removal-bobcat.html)

Adam[_2_] 20-03-2007 04:03 PM

ivy removal - bobcat?

i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a
bobcat to it.

is there any special attachment i can use with the bobcat or is the
best practice to use the standard loader bucket and scrape the ivy and
its roots out of the soil? i thought about the tiller attachment so i
could till the entire yard at once, but i'm not sure that would work
very well.

any help is greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!!

adam
atlanta, ga

FarmI 20-03-2007 05:45 PM

ivy removal - bobcat?

"Adam" wrote in message
i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a
bobcat to it.

is there any special attachment i can use with the bobcat or is the
best practice to use the standard loader bucket and scrape the ivy and
its roots out of the soil? i thought about the tiller attachment so i
could till the entire yard at once, but i'm not sure that would work
very well.

any help is greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!!

Ivy is a total pig of a plant to remove. I doubt that you will be able to
get all the roots out no matter what you do. Unless you remove a LOT of the
soil to a great depth, I believe it will just resprout and you'll eventually
need to use poison on it as well. I've had some success with tree and
blackberry killer but even then it resprouts and needs a new dose. I think
ivy is just plain evil stuff so I wish you all the luck in the world with
this venture.

Kay Lancaster 20-03-2007 10:42 PM

ivy removal - bobcat?

On 20 Mar 2007 08:03:02 -0700, Adam wrote:
i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a
bobcat to it.

The distilled experiences of English ivy removal around Portland, OR:
http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/control_methods.html

simy1 21-03-2007 07:17 PM

ivy removal - bobcat?

On Mar 20, 5:42 pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On 20 Mar 2007 08:03:02 -0700, Adam wrote:

i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a
bobcat to it.

The distilled experiences of English ivy removal around Portland, OR:http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/control_methods.html

Yes, the bobcat idea is horrible. Multiple mowings will ultimately
work, but the ivy going up the trees needs to be cut at the base and
Roundup applied with a paintbrush to the cut. Do this in May for
maximum effect.
Goats work well as mowing machines but they need to be tied down in
the middle of the ivy patch, else they will go eat things.

Phisherman[_1_] 22-03-2007 12:39 AM

ivy removal - bobcat?

On 20 Mar 2007 08:03:02 -0700, "Adam" wrote:

i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a
bobcat to it.

is there any special attachment i can use with the bobcat or is the
best practice to use the standard loader bucket and scrape the ivy and
its roots out of the soil? i thought about the tiller attachment so i
could till the entire yard at once, but i'm not sure that would work
very well.

any help is greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!!

adam
atlanta, ga

Why not spray it with RoundUp? Or, cover it with several layers of
newspaper (and weigh it down) and the ivy will die in a month.

Karen[_5_] 09-07-2019 05:14 AM

ivy removal - bobcat?

replying to Adam, Karen wrote:
Adam, how did this go for you? Did you end up using a bobcat for the ivy?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...cat-60160-.htm

rosh colman 24-08-2019 06:34 PM

ivy removal - bobcat?