GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree selection Advice needed - please help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/155735-tree-selection-advice-needed-please-help.html)

TechJinx 23-03-2007 12:23 PM

Tree selection Advice needed - please help

I purchased a house last year in a Cul-de-sac that has a slightly industrial view from one corner of the lounge.

I have a small planting area already exposed in the paved over area in front of this that I believe a smallish tree in would block out/hide this view.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tree that will not be too expensive for a reasonably tall - say 4-5 foot - specimen that will be best for hiding a view all year round. I am not really looking for a conifer plant and would be happy for something that dropped leaves in the winter but that still had lots of smaller branches that would still block the view.
have seen some fruit trees, (cherry/apple/pear/damson etc) in Homebase for about £20 that were already about 4-5 foot tall but wasn't sure if these would be suitable.

Any thoughts anyone? I would need recommendations that could be expected to be picked up in a decent sized garden centre.

Thanks in advance