Old 24-03-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default My grandmother called it a monkey tree

I need help identifying a tree. 35 or so years ago my uncle was a
cross country truck driver and often brought home gifts for my aunt
and grandparents. He brought home a small tree at one time and no one
remembers where he said he got it, not even what state. A few years
ago we lost my grandmother and soon after the tree was damaged so
badly it couldn't recover. I don't have any pictures but I'll do my
best to describe it. It grew to about 5 ft. tall. The trunk and limbs
were slightly twisty. Young limbs were covered with a soft velvety fur
and it had pods in the summer. The pods were 1 to 2 inches long and
looked a little like a pine cone. It reproduced like crazy with young
plants sprouting up all around it in the summer {unfortunately all cut
down by my stepfather}. I'm not sure how it reproduced although I
always suspected it was new shoots from the roots. If anyone can help
me I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Old 24-03-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 1:47�pm, "Babydoll" wrote:
[...]

http://sonokie.net/photographs/monkey_tree
Araucaria araucana, maybe?

Old 24-03-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 2:13 pm, "told2b" wrote:
[...]

need a little more info. does it have needles or leaves? where like
just what state do you live in? did it lose its leaves or needles
over winter?

Old 24-03-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"Babydoll" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need help identifying a tree. 35 or so years ago my uncle was a
cross country truck driver and often brought home gifts for my aunt
and grandparents. He brought home a small tree at one time and no one
remembers where he said he got it, not even what state.
snip

Hi,
Perhaps Firmiana simplex
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 24-03-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Mar 2007 10:47:12 -0700, "Babydoll"
wrote:

[...]

Randy Newman has an old song called: "Sail Away." Here are the words.
It was one of my father's favorite songs and you reminded me of it:

In America you'll get food to eat
Won't have to run through the jungle
And scuff up your feet
You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
It's great to be an American

Ain't no lions or tigers ain't no mamba snake
Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake
Ev'rybody is as happy as a man can be
Climb aboard little wog sail away with me

CHORUS
Sail away sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay

In America every man is free
To take care of his home and his family
You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree
You're all gonna be an American

Old 24-03-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

If its the monkey pod tree, they call it a monkey tree because when a monkey
gets in, he or she cannot get out. Its actually called a monkey puzzle.
The leaves are as sharp as can be. It will be no mistaken it if this is the
tree. There is also a tree called a monkey ball tree.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

oups.com...

Old 25-03-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I liked your song. Never heard of it before.

Old 25-03-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 1:13 pm, "told2b" wrote:
[...]

No, not a Monkey puzzle tree.

Old 25-03-2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 6:05 pm, "symplastless" wrote:
If its the monkey pod tree, they call it a monkey tree because when a monkey
gets in, he or she cannot get out. Its actually called a monkey puzzle.
The leaves are as sharp as can be. It will be no mistaken it if this is the
tree. There is also a tree called a monkey ball tree.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arboristhttp://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Babydoll" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Unfortunately no, It's neither a monkey puzzle nor a monkey ball tree.

Old 25-03-2007, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Babydoll" wrote in message
oups.com...
It grew to about 5 ft. tall. The trunk and limbs
were slightly twisty. Young limbs were covered with a soft velvety fur
and it had pods in the summer. The pods were 1 to 2 inches long and
looked a little like a pine cone. It reproduced like crazy with young
plants sprouting up all around it in the summer {unfortunately all cut
down by my stepfather}. I'm not sure how it reproduced although I
always suspected it was new shoots from the roots.

I'm wondering if it was some kind of sumac. The velvety branches and the
fact that is reproduced so prolifically by runners sounds as if this may be
it.

Go to Google Images and search "sumac"...or try this site
http://tinyurl.com/24rskj and you just may find a picture of what you're
looking for. There's quite a few different varieties but description sort of
sounds like Stag Horn Sumac or Fragrant Sumac.

Val

Old 25-03-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Mar 2007 21:52:31 -0700, "Babydoll"
wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, it was written about slavemasters who woooed the slaves
onto the ships in Africa. It's still great to be an American and I am
going to be more thrilled when our slavemaster is out of office.
Old 27-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 25, 2:31 am, "Val" wrote:
"Babydoll" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

by george I think you've got it. Can't be sure until I get a chance to
see and feel one up close and personal, but it sure looks right in the
pictures. Thank you all sooooooo much!

Old 27-03-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
KC KC is offline

On 26 Mar 2007 16:26:44 -0700, "Babydoll"
wrote:

On Mar 25, 2:31 am, "Val" wrote:
"Babydoll" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Just a side note, my father works with wood and he made some lamp
bases from sumac and that twisty quality is in the wood, too, making
for an interesting woodgrain. Sort of psychedelic, man.

KC