Old 28-03-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default African Violet Pot Watering

I have a few AV leaves rooted, and am now wanting to plant them.

I had a pot, 4 inches. It's one of these pots in a pot. Glazed on
the outside, the ceramic ungalzed pot sits in this pot.

And Ive tried this in the past, and have over watered it. I kept it
in the bathroom, I wonder if the humidity of showers had an ill
effect.

At any rate, I have this pot, I have a newly rooted cutting. I used
potting soil, it sits in the office at work in an east facing window,
it's all I have. With this kind of pot, how much water should I put
in, and how often. Ive searched this newsgroup and the net, with
mixed results. The last time I used this pot, I assumed I could keep
water in it 24x7, and the plant would get it as needed. I was young
and foolish, as I think I totally over soaked it.

Also, if I am allowed a secondary question. I have 3 other leaves now
rooting, and I can see the little green stems coming up from just
above the new roots in the water. When I eventually pot these leaves,
should I put the roots and new the new growth deep in the soil? Or
should I leave the leaves in the water until the new sprouts get a
little longer, so when I do pot them, they are above the soil line.
And furthermore, how long can the leaves stay in water, growing roots?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-peter

Old 28-03-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

"peter stickney" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

I went into violets in a big way a few years ago. The best results I
ever got was using plastic pots (just like the ones you buy them in) with
a hole in the bottom. Through the hole I would run a piece of cotton
rope or fabric. That must run along side the soil in the pot and down
into a tray UNDER the pot with pebbles in it. Water the PEBBLES and let
the cotton rope draw up the water into the pot. Don't let the water
touch the bottom of the pot. This gives the plant the right amount of
water AND humidity.

Clay posts and violets just don't seem to go together -- especially after
the plant gets big enough for the leaves to touch the rim of the pot.

Rooting it water is easy but it tends to make weak babies so don't leave
them there indefinitely. Don't repot the new leaves below the soil line.
You may find you have two or more new plants to each leaf. Separate them
gently. The mother leaf can be reused if you do it right. When you first
repot the babies you might want to place a plastic bag over the pot for a
few days to help them get established. Remove in stages. Keep the bag
off the plantlets with toothpicks or other upright devices stuck in the
pot soil. Don't let it get wet in there; you just want it to stay warm
and slightly moist.

BTW, an east window would be better if there was a sheer curtain between
the sun and the plant. The best light for violets is north light.
Old 28-03-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"peter stickney" wrote in message

At any rate, I have this pot, I have a newly rooted cutting. I used
potting soil, it sits in the office at work in an east facing window,
it's all I have.

One thing to keep in mind- "potting soil" varies tremendously from brand to
brand and mix to mix. If the pot is very heavy in relation to its size when
you pick it up the potting soil may be too heavy and need more perlite mixed
in to allow your roots to breathe. Too heavy a soil gets waterlogged and
stays soggy far too long.

When you look at the potting soil is it black or are there lots of specks of
white or grey mixed in?
Or did you use a specialized "African Violet Potting Soil"?

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 28-03-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 28, 3:05 pm, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
"peter stickney" wrote in message

At any rate, I have this pot, I have a newly rooted cutting. I used
potting soil, it sits in the office at work in an east facing window,
it's all I have.

One thing to keep in mind- "potting soil" varies tremendously from brand to
brand and mix to mix. If the pot is very heavy in relation to its size when
you pick it up the potting soil may be too heavy and need more perlite mixed
in to allow your roots to breathe. Too heavy a soil gets waterlogged and
stays soggy far too long.

When you look at the potting soil is it black or are there lots of specks of
white or grey mixed in?
Or did you use a specialized "African Violet Potting Soil"?

--
Toni
South Florida USA
USDA Zone 10http://www.cearbhaill.com

I know what you mean about the weight. I accidentally planted another
plant in outdoor garden soil a few months back. The pot was very
heavy! This is a very light soil, black/brown with some white and
brown bits mixed in. I dont remember the brand. It wasnt
specifically for african violets.

-peter

Old 28-03-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"peter stickney" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Get some specifically for African Violets. That's why they make it.

Old 26-04-2007, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

About the pot in pot set up that I think you're talking about - I'm
using one right now for an AV, and it was given to my by a friend who
swears by them for AVs. However, if it's the standard small pot - @ 3+
inches in diameter, your problem could be that it's too large for a tiny
new plant - too much soil and not enough roots to fill the soil leads to
roots rotting.

And yes, as FragileWarrior points out, be careful about rooting in
water. I think cutting should be potted up just as the roots get to be
about 1/4 - 1/2". Longer than that, and you wind up with a lot of fine
roots that are strong enough to grow in (through) water, but aren't
strong enough to make it when transferred to a soil mix.

Good luck!
Suzy, Zone 5 in Wis.

FragileWarrior wrote:
"peter stickney" wrote in
oups.com:

Old 26-04-2007, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

About the pot in pot set up that I think you're talking about - I'm
using one right now for an AV, and it was given to my by a friend who
swears by them for AVs. However, if it's the standard small pot - @ 3+
inches in diameter, your problem could be that it's too large for a tiny
new plant - too much soil and not enough roots to fill the soil leads to
roots rotting.

And yes, as FragileWarrior points out, be careful about rooting in
water. I think cutting should be potted up just as the roots get to be
about 1/4 - 1/2". Longer than that, and you wind up with a lot of fine
roots that are strong enough to grow in (through) water, but aren't
strong enough to make it when transferred to a soil mix.

Good luck!
Suzy, Zone 5 in Wis.

FragileWarrior wrote:
"peter stickney" wrote in