GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replant Lawn: DIY or Hire a Service? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/156059-replant-lawn-diy-hire-service.html)

Gary Brown 30-03-2007 04:42 PM

Replant Lawn: DIY or Hire a Service?

Hi,

Our lawn has completely died off over the past few years despite attempts
to revive it. Moss has taken over much of it. Moss killer, fertilizer, and
lime
have had little effect other than to turn the moss brown. DIY soil testing
has
shown nothing unusual.

The lawn is only 2000sq ft, surrounded by tall trees. I trimmed back some
branches to let in sun. The trees are part of the problem but there are
similarly
tree lined lawns in the area that are thriving.

I am vacillating between either DIY starting from a complete rototilling or
hiring
a service. Can you give some recommendations?

We are in Harvard, MA, about 40 miles from Boston.

Thanks,
Gary

JoeSpareBedroom 30-03-2007 04:48 PM

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

Our lawn has completely died off over the past few years despite attempts
to revive it. Moss has taken over much of it. Moss killer, fertilizer,
and lime
have had little effect other than to turn the moss brown. DIY soil
testing has
shown nothing unusual.

The lawn is only 2000sq ft, surrounded by tall trees. I trimmed back some
branches to let in sun. The trees are part of the problem but there are
similarly
tree lined lawns in the area that are thriving.

I am vacillating between either DIY starting from a complete rototilling
or hiring
a service. Can you give some recommendations?

We are in Harvard, MA, about 40 miles from Boston.

Thanks,
Gary

First thing I'd do is contact your cooperative extension service and arrange
for soil tests. These organizations will usually do the tests very cheaply.
I know you did your own, but even so....

The original lawn - did you seed it? If not, you have no idea whether the
right grass variety was planted for partial or full shade.